starting strength gym

Thread: Rotator Cuff Questions

Default Rotator Cuff Questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When an individual benches too often without shoulder and back work they can potentially experience rotator cuff problems.
    Is it possible to get rotator cuff injuries by doing the opposite of too much back and shoulder work and very little chest work?
    Are back exercises proven to be more protective of rotator cuffs than chest exercises?
    Is strengthening the traps the biggest deterrent of rotator cuff injuries?

May I quote Bill Starr? Just do your Press and you'll be fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Starr
    Totally absurd. The very best way to insure that you keep those groups that make up the rotator cuff strong and healthy is to do overhead lifts: presses, push presses, and jerks. Holding a weighted barbell overhead for several seconds hits the rotator cuffs directly. Lifting a weight overhead forces those muscles known as the scapular control groups, lower trapezius, lats, and serratus to work. These also get worked with heavy pulls, but a double dose of exercise that hits them directly is even better. Whenever someone tells me he’s feeling a twinge right where his rotator cuffs are located, I have him do overhead presses to strengthen the weak area. Standing dumbbell or barbell presses done with fairly high reps, 15s and 20s, and if the injury is not advanced, the presses solve the problem in a matter of a month or six weeks
    Source: The Olympic-Style Press | Bill Starr