Thread: Getting back after being sick

Default Getting back after being sick

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi guys,

I am doing a variation of Texas method right now
    I was pretty sick for a week.

What would be the most reasonable way to come back?
    For instance, my 5rm squat is 150kg (330 pounds).
    All the working weights in the week before I got sick were derived from this weight.

However after this week I am not sure that this is my actual 5RM.
    The question is how much should I deload.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gbl View Post
    The question is how much should I deload.
    Let's ask better questions:

How does being sick affect your lifts? How does missing workouts affect your lifts? How does the combination of the two affect your lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Let's ask better questions:

How does being sick affect your lifts? How does missing workouts affect your lifts? How does the combination of the two affect your lifts?
    Hi Michael, thanks.

I have no idea what have just happened but I was thrown out when I tried to post, so if there is a duplication - apologies.

If I miss one workout - I pick it up where I left.
    I don't miss more than that unless it is a planned pause. When I come back, I start with weights that I obviously can do (on any program) and build the strength back up.
    So it is a new thing for me.

The context: I was on less than 1000 kcal for several days, lying down, antibiotics.

My working weight, 150 kg (330 lbs) is borderline weight for me. I am struggling/grinding.
    Someone has suggested that I deload to 110 kg (240 pounds). That sounds too much. That is less than what I used on recovery days.

No my question is a practical one.
    I am heading back to the gym tomorrow.

What should I do?
    On one hand, I don't feel that strong. On the other hand I don't want to be unnecessary gentle to myself, deload a lot and miss several weeks to follow the program back to 330 pounds.

So should I try at 330 pounds (where I left), deload 25, 5%, 10% or may be it is wise to deload all the way back to 240 pounds?

Obviously I have no personal experience and I dont trust gym bros. That is why I ask a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by gbl View Post
    Obviously I have no personal experience and I dont trust gym bros. That is why I ask a coach.
    Is there some reason that you do not trust the advice in Practical Programming?

Instead of using a set %, think about it this way:

Missing Workouts: You don't lose muscle tissue very quickly, missing a week of workouts doesn't make your 1RM go down at all, or only a tiny bit maaaaybe. What you do lose quickly is work capacity - the ability to perform, and especially to recover from, higher volumes of work without getting exquisitely sore.

Getting Sick: Your body is actually weaker, and cannot perform a full motor unit recruitment event. Your actual 1RM goes down (temporarily). How long does it take to recover from this, and is the cessation of symptoms always a sign that the weakness is completely gone? It varies from person to person, and no.

So I can't tell you exactly how much, or what %, to start at. It depends on those factors above, so what you should do is a titration, like you're supposed to do on your first ever workout on the SS program. Now, I can tell you that if you have to reduce by 30%, you're probably not ready to train yet. And if you only have to reduce by 5%, you probably could've come back sooner. But there's a vast swath in between that is "normal."

Do a titration to find the weight, and do 3x5 instead of 5x5. Add weight and sets over the next couple weeks and you should be back to your normal 5x5 weight soon, and same for your intensity day, except you don't need to worry about the volume reduction there.

If you were really sick and it knocked you way out, it may take a bit longer. If it was more mild and less lasting effect, it could just take 1 week. I don't know. What I'm trying to get you to think about and understand is that "getting sick" isn't a one size fits all situation and you need to understand the principles more than a memorized "pat" answer of x% in every case.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, Michael.