starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength and Fighting with Nick Delgadillo | Starting Strength Radio #14

Default Strength and Fighting with Nick Delgadillo | Starting Strength Radio #14

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark Rippetoe and Nick Delgadillo discuss The Two-Factor Model of sports performance and why strength training should be a priority for people who train for fighting.

Watch Transcript & Get Episode Resources

Very interesting discussion. Martial Arts and fighting have always been an interest of mine, though I only really formally practiced 2-3 years back when I was in high school. I wasn't strength training very seriously back then, at least not on any kind of sensible program. I'd been trying to piece together how to do it effectively using the ginormous Arnold book and stuff I found online, so I didn't get all that strong. I mostly relied on technique to try and make up for lack of strength and allow me to hit hard, and technique can indeed do that. But I also trained with a few guys who were both strong AND had optimal technique. Those guys were another level of dangerous.

I'm glad you liked it. Strong and technical guys really are truly dangerous. And fun to watch.

A good discussion and explication on your part Nick. A few stand out moments were the debunking of conditioning and roadwork. Real unrefereed fights do indeed only last 10-30 seconds and the separation of the primate monkey dancing and hooting dominance calls that comprise the preliminaries of many fights are only displays.

Thanks again Nick.

I did a bjj tournament the other weekend on one days notice and with only a week of training since January due to injury, and easily handled my competition. During my time off I’ve been strength training a lot and noticed that my huge strength advantage did two things that surprised me: it made my the match a lot easier cardio wise because I didn’t have to work so hard to fight for grips and takedowns, and it allowed me to control my opponent and take a breather after intense exchanges. Now more than ever I realize the importance of having a good strength base.

I do have two questions regarding this topic though, why are some guys who put up good numbers in the gym still weak on the mat? It’s like they can’t display their strength effectively. My theory is that they could benefit from assistance drills such as heavy sandbag carries, Turkish getups, and/or farmer carries, which is something I’ve seen dan John mention. Secondly, how if possible, do I continue progressing my lifts with training mma 4x/week? I currently do an hlm routine with three drop sets on heavy day but am thinking of losing them. The only thing with that is I wonder if it’s enough work to drive adaptation. Thanks for the video it was a great watch

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    A good discussion and explication on your part Nick. A few stand out moments were the debunking of conditioning and roadwork. Real unrefereed fights do indeed only last 10-30 seconds and the separation of the primate monkey dancing and hooting dominance calls that comprise the preliminaries of many fights are only displays.

Thanks again Nick.
    Thanks, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    I did a bjj tournament the other weekend on one days notice and with only a week of training since January due to injury, and easily handled my competition. During my time off I’ve been strength training a lot and noticed that my huge strength advantage did two things that surprised me: it made my the match a lot easier cardio wise because I didn’t have to work so hard to fight for grips and takedowns, and it allowed me to control my opponent and take a breather after intense exchanges. Now more than ever I realize the importance of having a good strength base.

I do have two questions regarding this topic though, why are some guys who put up good numbers in the gym still weak on the mat? It’s like they can’t display their strength effectively. My theory is that they could benefit from assistance drills such as heavy sandbag carries, Turkish getups, and/or farmer carries, which is something I’ve seen dan John mention. Secondly, how if possible, do I continue progressing my lifts with training mma 4x/week? I currently do an hlm routine with three drop sets on heavy day but am thinking of losing them. The only thing with that is I wonder if it’s enough work to drive adaptation. Thanks for the video it was a great watch
    If a guy is strong how can he be weak on the mat? May be that he's either not strong or that the opponent's technique is much better. Strength helps, but it's not a substitute for mat time, especially when going against those more skilled. To be clear, a guy who is technically good will beat a strong guy. But that's not the question. The questions are whether a guy who's good will be better if he's stronger, what's the best use of training time off the mats, and what will keep you healthy. Barbell training checks all those boxes.

As far as you're training goes, get to the gym three days a week. HLM should work fine. Go easier on the mats around your heavy day. Go harder around your light days if that's what you're into. If you're competing, treat it like any athlete would. Lift heavy and hard further away from competition, back off on strength training and train harder on the mat as you get nearer to competition.

I searched martial arts and self defense near me. All 7 of them appear to be karate/dojo/sensei/aikido stuff, which is obviously a no-go.

I know I'd like to learn some self defense, but I want practice with someone who knows their shit. But that's hard to find.
    If I could do it on my own, I would, like I did with strength training. But you obviously need others to practice with if you're doing bjj or muay thai.
    Anything I can do? Maybe someone here has been in this situation.

That was a fantastic listen. The only problem that I see is that with most sports you aren't going to want to train heavy around competition and baseball, basketball, soccer it is kind of tough to train for strength and doing so may compromise your performance. At least that is what has been said here over the years. Honestly though I play a lot of basketball and I'm a relatively strong intermediate and I've notices that if my sleep and nutrition is on point that if I lift heavy in the morning im literally ready to kill shit on the court that night after a few hours recovery from lifting.

I also play baseball and it is often said that an athlete should not lift heavy prior to a game but even Eric Cressey has mentioned that sometimes even baseball players will lift relatively heavy even on a game day.

Logically it would seem counterintuitive to try to progress strength during a sporadic competition season in sports like that but im just wondering your thought Coach Delgadillo?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaimi Kuenzli View Post
    I searched martial arts and self defense near me. All 7 of them appear to be karate/dojo/sensei/aikido stuff, which is obviously a no-go.

I know I'd like to learn some self defense, but I want practice with someone who knows their shit. But that's hard to find.
    If I could do it on my own, I would, like I did with strength training. But you obviously need others to practice with if you're doing bjj or muay thai.
    Anything I can do? Maybe someone here has been in this situation.
    Are you near these guys? Home page | V7 Martial Arts

I'd go check them out if I were in your area.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast