starting strength gym

Thread: THANK YOU

Default THANK YOU

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My first post to Starting Strength forums!

No questions, just a sincere THANK YOU to Coach Mark Rippetoe and all of the Starting Strength / Aasgaard Company staff (past, current, and future). Ten years ago I was hit by a distracted driver so hard that my F150 rolled over four times. Four. Times.

My neck and back will never be the same BUT with Starting Strength, some excellent medical care, and some perseverance I'm back in the fight.

Now I'm a Master's Class lifter (aka old guy). No dramatic PRs. No super cool videos. Just "functional" (insert Rippetoe air quote movement here) strength so I can watch my kids grow up and be the best husband I can be (well maybe not the best but you get the idea).

Fives? "E tan e epi tas!"

Regards from Virginia

Four times? Do you remember the last one?

Heya, Flying Tiger! I'm in the Woodbridge/Manassas area -- self-taught and self-coached. Where in the Old Dominion are you? Check out my SS novice log here in the fora...

I remember all of them. We had just left the dump/recycling center on the way to a Cub Scout event. I had all four kids in the car (at that time 8, 6, 5, and 3). It was a beautiful October day so the windows were down... we were not the first car through the intersection... not the second or third. FOURTH car through intersection and this (expletive) distracted driver hit us full speed (45 mph? 55 mph? higher?) missing my oldest son's legs by about 4 inches. His car slammed into our front axle therefore fully transferring force.

Then I moved into super slow motion. I made a conscious decision to twist around and check on the kids... I was worried they had taken off their safety belts OR had an arm out the window (neither happened thankfully). I knew I was setting myself up for failure by twisting around but I didn't care: as a parent my only thought was are they OK?

I remember thinking "when the hell are we going to stop rolling over?" I kept talking to the kids throughout trying to keep them focused inside the car and on me. Amazingly we landed on our wheels. First responders were amazed... witnesses thought we were dead. All my issues relate to soft tissue and nerve impingement, no broken bones. I have "permanent" tinnitus in my left ear, and had disabling pain in back and other extremities (like can't breathe can't move) UNTIL I went through some excellent chiropractic care that decompressed my neck and most of my back AND discovered YOU on Art of Manliness (thanks internet search!).

Low Bar squats and Deadlifts made my body stronger... bye bye back pain! (sorry I guess I need to move this to testimonials). I had never Pressed before and low and behold I could do it and make progress.

I guess my point is 1) THANK YOU and 2) the Starting Strength focus on "regular people" not D1 or pro athletes is changing peoples lives for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ware View Post
    Heya, Flying Tiger! I'm in the Woodbridge/Manassas area -- self-taught and self-coached. Where in the Old Dominion are you? Check out my SS novice log here in the fora...

I'm in Richmond. I am also self taught and self coached... I used to work at Quantico and used that magnificent facility. Now I have a home gym (always open)