starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strength and its Derivatives | Mark Rippetoe

Default Strength and its Derivatives | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The production of force against an external resistance is the way all living creatures interact with their physical environment. Even plants do this, albeit very slowly. This ability has been in development for at least 3 billion years, and it's time to embrace it as a unifying characteristic of life. Even the tiniest scrap of your successful physical existence (your tenure in Hospice does not constitute any aspect of this) is predicated upon your ability to move, and this ability is predicated on the production of force by your muscles...

Read more

That’s a really well done article that gets to the “meat” of why we should be training

Made a lot of sense and is easy to understand

Thanks

Another excellent post, Coach. Especially this:

Effective strength training does not replace other activities – it enhances them. It cannot be allowed to interfere with other priorities, but it must be a priority, an important part of the schedule of a responsible person.
    Coming up on 51 years old and having spent a few decades pursuing endurance sports that I prioritized over everything else, I have approached my NLP program as an important enhancement. In the middle of my second year of NLP (I took a complete lifting break last winter while snowboarding 4-5 days/week [heavy squats and deadlifts make for less enjoyable powder days, which are my priority during winter]) I am still amazed at how much the strength does enhance my endurance. And I am stronger than I have ever been.

As a runner/golfer, I’ve been noodling this in my head off and on for a bit.

A powerlifter has no need for aerobic capacity, so there’s no role for running in their training. I think SOME aerobic exercise here and there is a good idea for everyone, but that’s irrelevant.

I’m not even concerned about the added bulk for runners/golfers (except maybe bench for runners). The catabolic nature of running (especially if it’s high-mileage) will take care of most of that. I also know there’s no such thing as “too strong”, but when something else is your primary sport, then weights are only a tool, rather than a goal

It’s the concept of “strong enough”, I guess. For runners, it’s mostly a question of when the recovery from weights starts to interfere with the recovery from running. For golfers, it’s more from a time standpoint than recovery (practicing your short game isn’t very taxing).

Short version is “when does the pursuit of further strength start to hinder performance in your chosen sport”? If that can be predicted in advance, you’d make zillions as a strength coach, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by simon0596 View Post
    Short version is “when does the pursuit of further strength start to hinder performance in your chosen sport”? If that can be predicted in advance, you’d make zillions as a strength coach, I guess.
    It doesn't need to be predicted. If you're practicing your sport, it becomes obvious.

Rip, a poster out of the illustrations would be awesome.

That's the plan, in process.

There is Rip the ‘strength coach” and there is Rip the ‘writer”. Not to blow smoke up your *ss but there isn’t anyone out there who can write about strength so clearly. Show me another person in the industry who can articulate and clearly write about the importance and acquision of strength like Rip does.

This article can stand alone as to why we do what we do.
    Good selection for the weekend.

Do you think Chuck Norris would have been more deadlier in the height of his career if he was coached a proper deadlift?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturw View Post
    Do you think Chuck Norris would have been more deadlier in the height of his career if he was coached a proper deadlift?
    “Chuck Norris? Never heard or her”
    -Jocko Willink

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast