starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to switch to phase 2

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Troxell View Post
    You are deadlifting 220lbs, weigh 191lbs, and you think you need to switch to power cleans? How did you draw this conclusion? If you were deadlifting 320 or more...maybe that would be a good option. (probably not at your age though) If you want to do PC's to learn the movement, have at it. But the reason for switching to a PC is to provide the lifter a lower stress between days 1 and 3 to dissipate fatigue, not because it causes the most stress. You are no where near needing power cleans in your programming. Strength training is force production, a 230lb deadlift requires a lot more force than a 65lb power clean.

Here are a couple suggestions: Follow the program. Eat, we are the same height, close in age and I weigh 30lbs more. Add weight to every workout and ask yourself the "first three questions." (The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe)

When you truly get fatigued because of the weight, probably around 315lbs (or more), add a midweek light day at 85%. After that, there are couple more options described in the MED Article linked earlier.

Good luck!
    Thanks Mike that's appreciated.

With a lack of experience in this field I was looking to transition to phase 2 based on SSBBT which suggests phase 1 lasts approximately 4 weeks. Having not read Practical Programming then maybe the advice would be more specific to my age/numbers?

James,

The Art of Manliness crossover video does an excellent job of teaching the power clean progression. While a coach is always helpful and optimal, many people have successfully learned the power clean on their own. I'd suggest really focusing on having straight arms and a bit shrug. It may be from the SS DVD vid, but Rip shows a great way to practice slamming the elbows up for the rack.

As far as whether you need/can/ought/may do them, my understanding from your post was that you can't do deadlifts 3x/wk anymore. The weight where this happens varies, and it would be better to switch a little early than miss reps or compromise form at this stage. If you're on the fence, maybe start by just putting cleans on the middle day before alternating.

I'm probably not qualified to say whether power cleans are the best use of your lifting time, and only you can decide whether you will do them. However, I take great exception to the idea that cleans are prohibitively hard or dangerous for a normal person that actually wants to do them and puts in an intelligent effort. Up your calories, commit to whatever you decide, and enjoy the ride. Happy lifting!

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    With a lack of experience in this field I was looking to transition to phase 2 based on SSBBT which suggests phase 1 lasts approximately 4 weeks. Having not read Practical Programming then maybe the advice would be more specific to my age/numbers?
    Do not change your workout for a written program, change because you are unable to recover from the previous workout. Your DL is still pretty light, it should not be hard to recover if you are eating, sleeping, and maintaining the same frequency. (48 to 72 hours)

Couple options for you: 1) Make mid-week a light day at 85-90% 2) Add power cleans (I would not do this yet) 3) Knock out a couple power cleans as a warm-up for your mid-week deadlift.

Before I did any of these recommendations, I would post your DL's in the technique thread. It may be form that is getting in the way?

Practical Programming for Strength Training | The Aasgaard Company

Stop this useless typing and read the book, James.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Stop this useless typing and read the book, James.
    Yep. Remember that it's expected that you do your homework and not just show up and expect that strangers to fill in for the prep you're not doing and/or the coach you really, really need to hire.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Yep. Remember that it's expected that you do your homework and not just show up and expect that strangers to fill in for the prep you're not doing and/or the coach you really, really need to hire.
    Nice one Stef, thanks for this. Time to order PPST then.

Cheers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12