starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When your DL suddenly dies?

Default When your DL suddenly dies?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Okay Im 41, 6’2”, 245#. I have an appointment with a SS coach Tuesday.
    Tuesday my DL hit 295/5.
    Today, Thursday I couldnt squeeze a lego under the plates. Took off 5#, nothing. Took it down to 270 and it was heavy AF.
    I havent read the books cover to cover, but im in the pages. I been trying hard to consistently eat 3300 calories of whole, paleo foods. Im on vacation sleeping plenty Weight seems steady. Is it time to decrease DL training frequency and learn how to clean?

Are you using chalk? How are you gripping the bar?

Chalk yes, immediately when grip became the limiting factor. Shortly after chalk, I started experimenting with hook/mixed grip. In this case (mixed grip), I simply didn’t have the core strength to move the bar. Ive been reading “practical programming”. I intend to build back up, alternating DL/back extensions and power cleans.
    Im on the road for work so ive tried to teach myself as best as I can. I intend to seek out coaching, Im traveling for work, so ill make it work somehow.

When I overtrained my deadlift a few months ago it came to a halt exactly as you described.

In my case I was doing deadlift accessories in addition to a weekly heavy set of five. The accessories, paused deadlifts in my case, just got too damn heavy to the point where I wasn't recovering enough for the weekly heavy session. Lesson learned for me and my coach.

Lately the only deadlift accessory in my program is Romanian deadlifts and these are light so as not to interfere with recovery from heavy deadlift day.

And what about questions one and two?

You had the strength to pull 295/5 previously, you didn't lose muscle overnight, so it's something else which is wrong in your training. Therefore, the first 3 questions as Mark previously posted. Are you eating sufficient carbohydrate in the 2hr window before training ? Are you taking an energy drink, or just plain water ? Are you resting enough between warm ups and working set ? Were there differences with your training equipment on consecutive lifts -plate diameter, bar diameter, foot wear ? Are you eating insufficient for the addition of the new training stress ?

Nockian,
    Ive had some time to chew on this. This week I deloaded my squat for depth, failed to increase my DL, and failed my last bench rep at 172. It feels like im getting weaker. Nothing else is changing in the gym. I eat at least a banana and pre workout, drink mostly water, and havent missed a workout, even when it means I have to wake up at 2:30am to train.
    So given these variables, Im almost certain im not eating enough. Ive got a gut on me so im aiming for 3500, but honestly im always scared to eat this much. So im going to see a coach Tuesday, and will be seeking coaching on the road for work. And gut or no gut, im gonna hit at least 3500 calories this week to see how it goes. Because this is bullshit, im doing something wrong.

Been allowing myself at least 5 mins between sets, sometimes 7 with press/bench

starting strength coach development program
    Be sure to tell your coach how well you sleep, much you rest between sets, and what your workset weight jumps have been. I assume you have to pay your coach for their services. You should get your money's worth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast