starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When your DL suddenly dies?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by gsl.shoemaker View Post
    Nockian,
    Ive had some time to chew on this. This week I deloaded my squat for depth, failed to increase my DL, and failed my last bench rep at 172. It feels like im getting weaker. Nothing else is changing in the gym. I eat at least a banana and pre workout, drink mostly water, and havent missed a workout, even when it means I have to wake up at 2:30am to train.
    So given these variables, Im almost certain im not eating enough. Ive got a gut on me so im aiming for 3500, but honestly im always scared to eat this much. So im going to see a coach Tuesday, and will be seeking coaching on the road for work. And gut or no gut, im gonna hit at least 3500 calories this week to see how it goes. Because this is bullshit, im doing something wrong.
    FWIW : if you want to get stronger, then you are going to need to eat despite the belly. Once you get your DL to 400lbs then start adding in some conditioning work and cutting a few calories, then the gut will start to vanish. Focus on one thing at a time.

You need to rest more. I take fifteen minutes before my top set of deadlifts, whether I feel like I need it or not. At that point, I’m not cooling down for another hour, and if I miss, the day’s over. Not to mention missed deadlifts are harder to recover from than successful ones (or at least that’s been my very un-expert experience).

Try resting ten minutes before you pull your top set of five. See what happens.

Right on to all that

Quote Originally Posted by gsl.shoemaker View Post
    wake up at 2:30am to train.
    im doing something wrong.
    I'm guessing.
    what hours do you keep?

if your resting sometimes 7 for bench and press,
    I'ld think at least 7 before pulling 295 + +

Start early, often work overtime. Ex. 6am start time-4:30 quit w 1hr drive time each way 5-7 days/week. The early AM stuff has been okay up till recently. With increased rest times, heavy work sets, I might need to do an AM-squats/press, PM-DL/chins etc thing. Ill figure it out, im learning.

The advice you've already gotten here has been generally solid, but unless I missed it, I don't think anyone explicitly mentioned the inference from your OP that you're still deadlifting 3x/weekly, presumably adding 5 lbs each time. This is almost a precursor to the The First Three Questions. The idea isn't to DL 3x/weekly until you fail. It's for a week or three, then alternate with cleans. In the real world where a lot of people don't do cleans even though they could, fine, alternate with *something*. Chins, light DLs at 70-80%, something other than adding 5 lbs for a set of five, three times a week. You're probably well past the point when you should have made that change, which is why you needed to take weight off the bar to continue - you don't get weaker in 2 days, but you can get more fatigued. Reduce frequency of adding 5 lbs to every other workout, alternate with cleans (or chins and light DLs, I won't kill you if you do that). After 3-6 weeks of that, you'll then reduce your adding 5 lbs to once a week, either DLing only once a week altogether or having one heavier day +5 lbs and a lighter day at ~80%.

The exact time in your LP where you make these changes varies by person, but they are detailed in the book. You just overstayed your welcome in the "add weight to 1x5 DL, three timex a week" zone by too long.

Yessir. Ive made some programming adjustments. Im looking forward to this weeks workouts. Thanks

I suppose this is the reason why Wendler said that you want to deadlift as little as you can get away with. When I first discovered SS I ignored this advice (and half of the programme) and decided that since my deadlift was weak, I wanted to increase it quickly, and I was very young so should recover well, I could do 3x5 every workout instead of 1x5. This caused a brief period of satisfying exhaustion indicating to me that I had worked hard and deserved good progress, followed by a much longer period of frustrating exhaustion which quickly began snatching my fourth and fifth reps out from under me. Suffice it to say I learned there is a good reason the deadlift goes down to 1x5 once a week, and isn't 3x5 every workout. Stalling is much more frustrating than slow but steady progress.

Two things:

1) It is perfectly fine to run out thrice per week deadlifts and is advised in the Grey Book for underweight men. I would extend this argument to undermuscled men ("aka" skinny fat) since underneath all of the fluff they are just as weak as the 130 lb guy with lower body fat. You did well in doing this as I've had far too many clients that ran SS on their own and came to me with an artificially weak deadlift. Just give yourself a few more days, take the same load again, then resume adding if this is indeed the variable driving fatigue, which it likely is one of them.

2) How many carbohydrates per day would you estimate you are consuming? 3500 calories means nothing if it's they are coming primarily from fats and proteins.

starting strength coach development program
    Been using a tracker
    Yesterday
    Carbs 299g
    Protein 238g
    Fat 151g

This is all food (in all honesty its also some beer...I been home on vacation for 3 weeks) In the future my fat consumption will probably decrease a bit, because I will need to supplement meals w shakes (theres no way I can eat that much food working in the Georgia heat/humidity)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast