starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Functional Training is a Waste of Everybody's Time | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You know when you read a post and are then just waiting for a SSC to reply.....

Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    So called "full body" training likely neglects to activate the highly specific micro-muscles that have evolved for these particular sport motor patterns in order to perform these highly specialized movements (none of which are seen during normal daily human activity), which is probably why baseball players don't benefit from barbell training or steroid use...
    Excellent post. On a n=1 example: I played baseball thru high school, never strength trained and never hit a home run. Not in game. Not in practice. The year after high school I started lifting & put on 15 pounds. A year removed from HS some of buddies and I decided to try a home run derby. Despite not having swung a bat for nearly a year I managed to put every 3rd pitch over the fence. Talk about a lightbulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    Excellent post. On a n=1 example: I played baseball thru high school, never strength trained and never hit a home run. Not in game. Not in practice. The year after high school I started lifting & put on 15 pounds. A year removed from HS some of buddies and I decided to try a home run derby. Despite not having swung a bat for nearly a year I managed to put every 3rd pitch over the fence. Talk about a lightbulb moment.
    Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    Several of my friends play in a rec softball league. They have one player, Big Paul, who is a bit of a ringer. He baseball in college and a bit of minor league stuff, and he routinely activates the max home run rule - each player can only score 3 home runs in a game and every at bat after that that goes for a home run is limited to 2 bases. There are numerous explanations provided by the team for his success. Some are nebulous (he played in college). Some are attempts to find any reason than the obvious (he has long arms and that translate angular velocity into greater linear momentum). However, "Big Paul" is a competitive power lifter. He is 220 lbs of solid muscle with a 350+ bench and a 500lbs squat. This NEVER comes up in conversation. But I wonder what his hip internal rotation numbers are?

starting strength coach development program
    Why Functional Training Makes You Better Than Everyone Else:

Why Functional Training Makes You Better Than Everyone Else - YouTube

This video was excellent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12