starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Novice issues and misunderstandings (focus deadlift)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Don’t forget to come back again for more abuse.

Holy sh*t guys, why beat up newbies ?
    No one is beating him up for being a newbie. They're beating him up for not trying even a little.

People should spend more time listening and thinking than talking.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I found the way to squat even with a barbell, it was not easy I had to figure it out on my own a lot.

However here is the deal now, I do not care so much for my bench press although it is over 60 kg, but I would rather focus on my overhead press since I find it more athletic and more interesting, and when my HOP numbers go up my bench will as well. So I would like to do if possible all three days in the week OHP if that is alright. If it is not I can do on Wednesday Dips and other two days I can do OHP. Because I really want to progress in OHP.

I was listening once what Mark was saying about military in USA, and he was saying something like : "if they want they can get every soldier on this program to bodyweight press in 3 or 6 months, and he also mentioned deadlift numbers and squat, but he did not mention bench press.
    If someone would reach bodyweight presson this program for a such relatively short time probably he would not focus at all on the bench.

So if that would be better for my OHP I would rather do only OHP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorius View Post
    I was listening once what Mark was saying about military in USA, and he was saying something like : "if they want they can get every soldier on this program to bodyweight press in 3 or 6 months, and he also mentioned deadlift numbers and squat, but he did not mention bench press.
    If someone would reach bodyweight presson this program for a such relatively short time probably he would not focus at all on the bench.
    "this program" refers to the Starting Strength method and it includes both the press and the bench press for a reason. You'll find it in chapter 3, but it's really pretty obvious if you give it a little thought.

Than why Olympic weightlifter use dips as assistance exercise instead of Bench press, when they can all do Bench why using dips. Dips are much more athletic in my opinion than bench press, and can be loaded a lot.

Your opinion is irrelevant.

Than why Olympic weightlifter use dips as assistance exercise instead of Bench press, when they can all do Bench why using dips. Dips are much more athletic in my opinion than bench press, and can be loaded a lot.
    What does "athletic" mean? If you're referring to the ability to produce force, then you're incorrect. If you're referring to something else, you will have to clarify.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

For me my opinion is relevant, and that's all that matters. I came here to get some advice and to discuss my training program. If everyone would be honest with themselves, they would see that from all main lifts with barbell bench press is the most unathletic one, however I do not care what others do. I do not intend to be a powerlifter and there is no need for me to do bench press. If I would have 100 kg overhead press, maybe I would have 110 kg bench press so there is no need to do it.

Starting strength might be a good general strength program but not good enough in terms of specificity.

How old are you, Lorius?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    What does "athletic" mean? If you're referring to the ability to produce force, then you're incorrect. If you're referring to something else, you will have to clarify.
    When I say that Bench press is not so athletic for me, I say that because you are actually lying down on the bench and most of the times with heavier weights someone actually needs to give you the weight so you can start pressing it. I am happy that I am healthy and that I can stand and walk, so I would rather do OHP, also regarding the DIPS I am in a more upright position, and that movement much more resembles certain movements in nature than Bench press does.

I would not like to disclose my exact age here publicly but I would say that I am young. That would be pretty much it from me for now, I will start my new program from the next week, and maybe I can update you for 2-3 months, maybe 4 on results if you want. Hopefully I will perform good.

starting strength coach development program
    If I would have 100 kg overhead press,
    What exercises do you believe would be needed for the average 90kg man to acquire a 100kg press?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast