starting strength gym

Thread: The Olympic Weightlifting Episode | Starting Strength Radio #19

Default The Olympic Weightlifting Episode | Starting Strength Radio #19

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark Rippetoe presents a logical approach to getting into Olympic weightlifting that involves getting strong first while learning and practicing the lifts.

Transcript & Episode Resources

Great episode as usual! One follow-up question - when the Oly lifter trainee gets past the novice stage and actually starts to do the two quick lifts, do you switch the back squat to high bar, or do you keep it low bar and use the additional front squats as the "olympic-specific squat variation." I know that olympic lifters generally do high bar back squats due to the more upright posture that is reflected in the clean and snatch catch positions.

The clean and snatch catch positions are trained by the front squat, and practiced by the clean and the snatch. I see no role for another squat variation.

Default Snatch from the blocks and other assistance work

Hi Mark,

could you elaborate why do you think snatch from the blocks are not useful? assuming you could do a high % of your lift ? and are combined with the full lifts (e.g. volume day with blocks and intensity off the floor for a few weeks) . are they still not useful in developing a more precise technique? would you only advise them for lifters beyond intermediate ?

thanks

They can't be done with a high enough % of your snatch to be either training or practice. I have already explained the reason why they cannot be used for developing technique. I'm sorry you don't understand.

I remember my oly coaches would neglect any heavy deadlifts/squats for me because "i was strong enough and needed to focus on technnique", but then at some randomly chosen time every 2 months I'd have to do some crazy shit like squat 100kg for 10, and then increase by 10kg increments until 180kg x 10. This was to "build up the tendons". I've tried to oly lift 3 times and everytime I just end up weak and hurt.

starting strength coach development program
    I found the explanation of the Bulgarian method's success particularly informative. Everyone else I've encountered on the topic said little more than 'they won medals because they worked harder.' The fact that there is a qualitative difference in the lifter-barbell system which affects the value of the movement as practice when loaded above or below a certain threshold is crucial, and it's helpful to have that explained so clearly, thanks.