starting strength gym

Thread: Mental build up to training

Default Mental build up to training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m just sharing an observation and wondering what people’s thoughts are. I’m still on my NLP and progressing well but weights feeling heavy, esp deadlifts. I had a stressful day recently- work, kids wife traffic all providing their own contributions to my stress levels and got to the gym pretty tense. However I was desperate to take out my bad temper on the weights and everything felt better, not necessarily lighter, just better- than on days I’ve gone in with a more serene mindset.
    Obviously watching competitive lifters you see a huge amount of psyching up before big lifts- what do people here think about getting angry with the weight (could bad form result?) and do they have any tips for getting mentally prepared.

BTW I’ve only read SS not practical programming- conscious decision not to get too far ahead of myself until my NLP is done so I don’t know if this is covered there and apologies if is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdcuth View Post
    I’m just sharing an observation and wondering what people’s thoughts are. I’m still on my NLP and progressing well but weights feeling heavy, esp deadlifts. I had a stressful day recently- work, kids wife traffic all providing their own contributions to my stress levels and got to the gym pretty tense. However I was desperate to take out my bad temper on the weights and everything felt better, not necessarily lighter, just better- than on days I’ve gone in with a more serene mindset.
    Obviously watching competitive lifters you see a huge amount of psyching up before big lifts- what do people here think about getting angry with the weight (could bad form result?) and do they have any tips for getting mentally prepared.

BTW I’ve only read SS not practical programming- conscious decision not to get too far ahead of myself until my NLP is done so I don’t know if this is covered there and apologies if is.
    IMO bullying the weights is not a good idea, it just adds stress. It's much better to meditate on each exercise by thinking through the cues, stepping up to the bar, focusing calmly and going through the pre flight checklist before pulling the bar out of the rack.

I think it all depends on your personality and ability to focus. If you’re able to keep appropriate form, I say use whatever you have to. Any time I get nervous or too anxious about a lift I always tell myself, “it just a chunk of metal.”

I train with two guys who just attack the bar. I tend to treat it like a best friend. Do what feels best for you.

I have found that both methods work. Friday I got buried at work, stress day, full traffic, home nightmare. I assaulted the weights and had a great workout.
    Sunday I woke up in great frame, rested from sleep, and treated it with calm mind. Both ways work, no need to pick one or the other, just what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinohunter View Post
    I have found that both methods work. Friday I got buried at work, stress day, full traffic, home nightmare. I assaulted the weights and had a great workout.
    Sunday I woke up in great frame, rested from sleep, and treated it with calm mind. Both ways work, no need to pick one or the other, just what works for you.
    Yeah don't think any amount of rain dancing, screeching, meditating, ammonia sniffing or incense burning actually makes any difference beyond placebo. It's adenosine triphosphate, myofibrils, and some other stuff I don't understand interacting with some Iron plates via Newtons Laws - none of the above are subject to persuasion.

Guess I’ll just not overthink it and keep turning up.

I take different mental approaches for different kinds of days. Some days, it’s calm waters and meditative, other days, I have to harness my aggressions, and on other days, it’s a suffer fest. Just accept and go with whatever kind of day it’s going to be.

Actually that's the key is just showing up to lift. Not showing up through some excuse or another has been my primary reason for not progressing as much as i could have.

starting strength coach development program
    In my experience, whatever was you do before a lift, don’t get mentally /un/prepared.

Stay focused on the bar, and off your phone. As someone else said, visualize. Subtle, but important.