starting strength gym

Thread: A Quick Tip on Setting Down the Deadlift | Phil Meggers

Default A Quick Tip on Setting Down the Deadlift | Phil Meggers

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting Strength Coach Phil Meggers demonstrates a way to ensure the bar goes back to the middle of the foot when putting down a deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Starting Strength Coach Phil Meggers demonstrates a way to ensure the bar goes back to the middle of the foot when putting down a deadlift.

Thanks Phil. Gonna try that cue out today. I have consistently tended to fall apart during the lowering phase of the lift despite working with many coaches. The oft repeated SS advice is "to lower the bar just do what you did to lift it in reverse" which has never been helpful for me. Like reciting the alphabet backwards, I can kinda do that but it's tedious and is unpleasant. A cue is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Thanks Phil. Gonna try that cue out today. I have consistently tended to fall apart during the lowering phase of the lift despite working with many coaches. The oft repeated SS advice is "to lower the bar just do what you did to lift it in reverse" which has never been helpful for me. Like reciting the alphabet backwards, I can kinda do that but it's tedious and is unpleasant. A cue is nice.
    Frankie - you're welcome, and I hope it helps. When it does, it tends to do so because we have to keep our knees back on the way down in order to see the middle of the foot. To be sure, the knees are not locked, but they are kept far enough back that we can see the middle of the foot, and this allows the bar to travel in a nice vertical path on the way back down to that point.

These are the kinds of coaching techniques and cues that professional barbell coaches develop in the course of practicing the profession. Add this to your toolbox. We are adding it to the seminar method.