starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Vertical with Stan Efferding | Starting Strength Radio #21

Default Getting Vertical with Stan Efferding | Starting Strength Radio #21

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark Rippetoe and Stan Efferding discuss nutrition, The Vertical Diet, getting big and strong, and a variety of other topics.

Transcript & Episode Resources

Big fan of the rhino. Should be a great interview

What's the Greek restaurant in NJ?

Coach Rip and Stan, my two favorite mentors! This should be classic!

I enjoyed every second of that.

Can i get a precise explanation of why cardio doesn’t work for fat loss? I agree, but I’d like to know the details. My understanding is that cardio is catabolic and losing muscle means a lower BMR. Is that pretty much the jist of it?

It doesn't burn enough calories to be a significant mechanism for fat loss, and if you do enough of it that it becomes significant, you're killing yourself.

I thought chicken was still the preferred meat for cutting. How do you get enough protein while staying under your caloric intake goal? Or do you let the caloric target rise a little?

I will probably end up reading his book at some point in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    I thought chicken was still the preferred meat for cutting. How do you get enough protein while staying under your caloric intake goal?
    In the podcast, Stan gives the example of Nadia moving toward leaner and leaner beef as she cut down during prep.

There are many red meat options that are very lean, whether beef, bison, or venison. When's the last time you sat down with some deer or elk?

I was very interested in Stan’s point about fiber. Here in China, fiber is considered a type of poison, and it’s not uncommon for doctors to recommend consuming less of it. Chinese people are generally much more active than Americans - China is very urban and most people don’t own cars - so there certainly could be a connection there.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    In the podcast, Stan gives the example of Nadia moving toward leaner and leaner beef as she cut down during prep.

There are many red meat options that are very lean, whether beef, bison, or venison. When's the last time you sat down with some deer or elk?
    I heard the example, but being the overly analytical type that I am, I became curious about the specifics, especially in the context of diet compliance; Seems to add some complexity, so there must be enough benefit to outweigh the compliance cost. Stan is an intelligent man and has put a substantial amount of thought to it, so I will just need to read the book to understand the details.

I didn't realize deer and elk were that lean. I have been somewhat cautious about deer lately due to the increasing prevalence of CWD in the mountain west.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast