starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Vertical with Stan Efferding | Starting Strength Radio #21

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    I didn't realize deer and elk were that lean. I have been somewhat cautious about deer lately due to the increasing prevalence of CWD in the mountain west.
    You thought deer and elk were greasy? You've never had deer or elk.

I get a lot of deer meat from my cousin. Its delicious, especially when made into jerky.

We don't get elk meat in Australia.

We have kangaroo though, which is as lean as red meat comes.

Kangaroo is basically venison, I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Kangaroo is basically venison, I've been told.
    Similar in texture. Tastes different though. I prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    I was very interested in Stan’s point about fiber. Here in China, fiber is considered a type of poison, and it’s not uncommon for doctors to recommend consuming less of it. Chinese people are generally much more active than Americans - China is very urban and most people don’t own cars - so there certainly could be a connection there.
    Look at the Chinese staple foods; for us Westerners, it’s what the cooks at the take-out place are eating, not what they are selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    I enjoyed every second of that.

Can i get a precise explanation of why cardio doesn’t work for fat loss? I agree, but I’d like to know the details. My understanding is that cardio is catabolic and losing muscle means a lower BMR. Is that pretty much the jist of it?
    N=1 experience: First, cardio makes me hungry, and the amount I eat because I am more hungry is equivalent to the estimated amount burned. I could just stay hungry, but if I want to be hungry I can just eat less, I don't have to go make myself tired in addition to being hungry. Second, cardio depresses my metabolic rate for hours afterward, as evidenced by needing to wear more clothes for identical conditions on days when I run vs. days when I do not. In contrast, a good squat and press session enables me to wear less clothing comfortably for 24-48 hours. Third, as you mention, excess cardio causes protein catabolism. This can be avoided by doing the right amount at the right intensity, if you know what that is. You don't, and neither does anyone else who has not been studying your individual response to exercise for a few years. Fourth, time spent on cardio is time which could be spent training to maintain muscle mass and strength, or recovering from training. Endurance training is useful if you wish to engage in activities which require endurance, (as I do) and in small to moderate amounts probably has cardiac benefits. I think the idea of endurance exercise as a means to lose weight is popular because talking about it allows people to ignore the thrice daily horror show that is their diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    N=1 experience: First, cardio makes me hungry, and the amount I eat because I am more hungry is equivalent to the estimated amount burned. I could just stay hungry, but if I want to be hungry I can just eat less, I don't have to go make myself tired in addition to being hungry. Second, cardio depresses my metabolic rate for hours afterward, as evidenced by needing to wear more clothes for identical conditions on days when I run vs. days when I do not. In contrast, a good squat and press session enables me to wear less clothing comfortably for 24-48 hours. Third, as you mention, excess cardio causes protein catabolism. This can be avoided by doing the right amount at the right intensity, if you know what that is. You don't, and neither does anyone else who has not been studying your individual response to exercise for a few years. Fourth, time spent on cardio is time which could be spent training to maintain muscle mass and strength, or recovering from training. Endurance training is useful if you wish to engage in activities which require endurance, (as I do) and in small to moderate amounts probably has cardiac benefits. I think the idea of endurance exercise as a means to lose weight is popular because talking about it allows people to ignore the thrice daily horror show that is their diet.
    I think you are on the money there.

Thanks Rip and philbert for the explanation!

My experience with and without cardio in the training regiment goes right along with what you’re saying, Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You thought deer and elk were greasy? You've never had deer or elk.
    It doesn't sound like you have ever had deep fried deer. I still prefer them greasy.

starting strength coach development program
    I wanna be Stan Efferding when I grow up.

I love how he translates discipline and work in the gym to success in business. If you have young sons, you want them to be around people like Stan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast