starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Silly Doctor's Response

Default Another Silly Doctor's Response

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Over the weekend I was talking to my older brother, who'll turn 79 years old this week. He said he'd complained to his doctor about his legs being weak, causing his problems getting around, and asked what he could do to strengthen them. The doctor replied "You're 78 years old, what do you expect?"

My response was that it was a bunch of bovine excrement.

Sad deal.

Have your father buy “The Barbell Prescription” by Dr. Sullivan and the Starting Strength blue book (if he hasn’t already). Then get him stronger.

For the rest of humanity: for the first warm up set of presses after getting the technique down, use the aforementioned Doctor instead of the barbell and press him through the window.

In the past, most Doctors were Dr. Do Littles when it came to prescribing “Strength”. Now most of them have graduated with honours as Dr. Do Nothings or Dr. Do Harms. It’s a disgrace.

Problem: weak legs
    Solution: strengthen legs
    Methodology: Starting Strength

Simple enough?

I hereby award you your medical degree! Totally agree with you furrier.

Quote Originally Posted by furrier View Post
    Problem: weak legs
    Solution: strengthen legs
    Methodology: Starting Strength

Simple enough?
    Ya, an 80 year old man with leg atrophy should really thrive off of pushing 9 sets of squats to at or near failure 3 times a week. If they're under weight, they should consider a gallon of milk daily too.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    Ya, an 80 year old man with leg atrophy should really thrive off of pushing 9 sets of squats to at or near failure 3 times a week. If they're under weight, they should consider a gallon of milk daily too.
    Hey look OZ, I found a picture of the exact person you're arguing against!

You are very right. He should probably just lay in bed until he dies.

LP for an 80 year old man might start with 3x5 squats off a bench at toilet level. The difference between squatting off the toilet using your arms for assistance and being able to squat a 5lb bar for 5 reps is massive.

Who are you making squat 9 heavy sets 3 times per week at ANY demographic? Because no one else is.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    LP for an 80 year old man might start with 3x5 squats off a bench at toilet level. The difference between squatting off the toilet using your arms for assistance and being able to squat a 5lb bar for 5 reps is massive.
    Ya, like I said: OZ is clearly upset about some other stuff so he's tilting at windmills here.

Who are you making squat 9 heavy sets 3 times per week at ANY demographic? Because no one else is.
    Being fair to OZ, I interpreted this as 9 sets per week: 3 sets per workout, 3 times per week. Even though the way he wrote it does indeed mean 9 sets, 3 times per week. But we can interpret charitably to what he almost certainly meant, and still point out the stupidity and straw-manning of his comments. For example: Everyone knows as an absolute undisputed fact that the LP consists solely of sets to failure for 4 months straight. Especially 78 year olds, for whom standard practice is to load up the bar with 405 on their very first time, instruct them with "Put the bar on your back, squat all the way down then stand back up! GO!" and then add 10 lbs to every workout, 3 days per week, till death do us part. Amazing how anyone even makes it out alive. See, that was pretty easy.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-04-2020 at 12:03 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast