starting strength gym

Thread: How Did You Become a Personal Trainer? | Carl Raghavan

Default How Did You Become a Personal Trainer? | Carl Raghavan

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "I get this question a lot. What did you do? How do I become a personal trainer or a coach? Of course, they don’t usually want to hear the truth. This question is code for: What is the quickest route (ideally not involving many years’ work and experience) to becoming a highly paid, elite-level coach who can pick and choose his clients, lift when he wants and be his own boss?"

Read article

This couldn't have been more timely given that I was planning to pay a visit to Carl anyway and ask him exactly this question! Extremely insightful piece (and of course, I'm still going to go and see Carl about my squat, amongst other things...).

I have been considering becoming a strength coach. I have coached another sport before, but not barbell training. I am already doing a large amount of freelance work in separate industry.

What advice is there on the best place to start after the BS certificate is payed for? Is it best to find any gym with decent equipment and ask if you can start training there? What if you already have athletes or other would be clients, but do not have an official place to train them?

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    I have been considering becoming a strength coach. I have coached another sport before, but not barbell training. I am already doing a large amount of freelance work in separate industry.

What advice is there on the best place to start after the BS certificate is payed for? Is it best to find any gym with decent equipment and ask if you can start training there? What if you already have athletes or other would be clients, but do not have an official place to train them?
    If i had to do it over I would go with a starting strength apprenticeship - perhaps even moving to a location for it.

I started out at a corporate gym known as Gold’s, unfortunately. It was a good springboard, but the company is also a greedy corporate monster that will leech as much money off their employees as possible. Ownership has changed hands multiple times over the past few years probably because they can’t find a profitable enough business model.

If you go the corporate route then I would suggest lifetime. Pretty impressive company that treats their employees better than any of the other ones (equinox, golds, 24hr, etc.) some of these clubs require previous experience and they prefer to take the best talent from lesser competitors. Legit pay there too.

Of course, a private gym is probably preferable, but it may take more time to build a decent client base.

“The best place to start” that kinda depends on your situation, what country and what’s local to you.
    If barbell training is your focus look into all the facilities around that have the equipment you need. Also the people around you, ideally look for and get coached by as many Starting Strength coaches in your area.
    Start small and build yourself from the ground up.

starting strength coach development program
    I would look into the apprenticeships, but I would have to give up some of my other freelance work and relocate; probably not an option right now. There are also no SS coaches in my area. Denver is probably closest place for that.

I might be able to get started at a private gym and build up slowly.