starting strength gym

Thread: Competitive by the masters?

Default Competitive by the masters?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi guys

I'm currently 33 years old weighing 97kg at 6"

My current pr's are 180kg squat, 130kg bench, 85kg press and 195kg deadlift with straps

I want to compete in powerlifting but I also want to actually be able compete and not the weakest fool at the meet

So my plan is to spend the next 6.5 years getting strong enough to hang with the strong guys in the masters class, is this a realistic goal? Or do I just start competing and deal with coming last? haha

Anybody who waits until they "know" they can win before they compete is not really a competitor. If you can't stand the thought of placing last in a stronger field of lifters, train harder or stay home. And waiting until you are eligible for the safety of a restricted class is further evidence that you really don't want to compete anyway.

You make a fair point mark, I have never competed in anything at all so maybe I have the mindset all wrong

Its not that Im an ego maniac who only wants to win, just figured my numbers are so far behind that I "know" id be last right now.

For some reason I have 220 kg squat and 260 deadlift as "minimum numbers" but I have no idea where those figures came from, I blame the weed 😂

I lifted to no particular distinction and intermittently from high school in the mid 1960's on up. After I got my form squared away at an SS seminar some 7 years ago, I discovered some months later I had a 425 deadlift in the gym. Astounding. So I looked around and saw that in my age group then (60-64) that with a little effort in improving my squat and bench press I could place in a powerlifting meet in my then weight class of 125 kg. So off to compete I did.

If you are genuinely interested in testing your mettle, get on the platform and do it sooner rather than later. The experience is instructive at any age. I've been in 6 meets, and just finished the 7th one this past Sunday in Tulsa after a hiatus of 3 years and 50 lbs. lighter.

Us old guys stick together, we rule and the camaraderie is great. The respect we get from the younger, stronger guys is kinda good too.

Waiting to get old to do better is a fool's errand.