starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor feet for sit-ups

Default Anchor feet for sit-ups

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I have a PT test coming up that requires the full Cooper standard (sit-ups, push-ups and 1.5 mile run).

I'm trying to find a way to securely anchor my feet to practice sit ups without a training partner. The obvious choices are under a bed or couch, but mine aren't the right height for this.

Your suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,

Heavy dumbbells?

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    The obvious choices are under a bed or couch, but mine aren't the right height for this.
    Other than dumbbells, why can you not make the bed/couch work for you?

Shove your shins forward under the bed/couch until they catch. A sit up position has the knees at the edge of the hypotenuse created by the shins. Unless the underside of the bed/couch is taller than your knees, you should be fine.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thanks for the tips, Rip and Andrew.

Striking out, on my end. I found that my feet were still able to lift up with 20 lb dumbbells and with shins under the edge of the bed. Amazon currently sells a product that holds the floor with a suction cup, but it doesn't look too strong.

Could it possibly be that 20-pound dumbbells are not heavy enough? Something to consider.

How about you not anchor at all and actually use your abdominal muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by JDemboski View Post
    How about you not anchor at all and actually use your abdominal muscles.
    Because location of center of mass can make that impossible without the use of an anchor or rocking.

Especially if he has to do sit ups for time, it's going to make a huge difference.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thank you.

Rip, agreed that heavier DBs would have been the next logical step. I got creative and managed to rig up an old bench press pad under my bed frame. It wedges the feet down sufficiently.

JD, your post suggests that anchoring is the wrong choice. I’m just trying to mimic the test conditions as closely as possible and pass the test. No plans to continue these long-term.

If heavier dumbbells are not an option, you may be able to play on the moment arm by reducing knee bend.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
    If heavier dumbbells are not an option, you may be able to play on the moment arm by reducing knee bend.
    Interesting idea, Balrog. I toyed with knee angle today.

On the topic of PT exams and sit-ups, does anyone have general suggestions about frequency on these? I've considered doing them every weekday morning - the premise being that they're not nearly as taxing as heavy compound lifts and it's more about building a motor skill. The other consideration is to do them 2-3 X per week, under the premise that the muscles engaged require rest and recovery like any other muscles. Open to suggestions from those who have been through this before. Thank you,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast