starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Fix Powerlifting? | Mark Rippetoe

Default How to Fix Powerlifting? | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    "You ask. Because it's broken, you know. Has been for a while. When world records can be established by moving a bar approximately one inch, when a guy can drop 30 pounds to make weight 24 hours before a meet, gain it all back, and then compete in the lighter weight class when he actually weighs 2 classes up, when a squat that is clearly 7 inches above parallel gets applauded for “Beautiful depth!”, your sport is broken. It has become a Circus..."

Read article

After reading this it makes me not even want to powerlifter anymore.

That said even if it a shitty sport it still gives me a goal to shoot for which drives my training even if I’m not going to weight cut and be at a disadvantage.

Great article, and I agree with the points.

Since there aren't many strength meets, it's easier to find a powerlifting meet. I'm heading to the USAPL meet in Abilene on Saturday, but I'm going to stick with as many of the strength meet rules as I can. I'm not cutting weight, I will squat to depth, and I will use a conventional deadlift. Oh, and I'm not even using knee wraps--just a belt.

I am a little nervous about the commands. It seems like a true PR attempt gives you enough to worry about without having to worry about listening to a judge.

It doesn't sound like the USAPL has the same level of crazy as some of the others. Maybe they'll keep me busy until the next meet at WFAC. In the meantime, I'll keep working on my press.

Oh, I forgot to mention--you left out the worst thing about powerlifting: singlets.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I am a little nervous about the commands. It seems like a true PR attempt gives you enough to worry about without having to worry about listening to a judge.
    Do not listen to the commands. Ever. Do not break focus to listen to the head judge. Practice the pause, perform the pause on the platform, and make sure it's legal. You will get at least 2 whites.

Powerlifting is obviously a racist sport.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Oh, I forgot to mention--you left out the worst thing about powerlifting: singlets.
    I'm in favor of the singlet. Lets the judges see what they need to see to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do not listen to the commands. Ever. Do not break focus to listen to the head judge. Practice the pause, perform the pause on the platform, and make sure it's legal. You will get at least 2 whites.

Powerlifting is obviously a racist sport.

I'm in favor of the singlet. Lets the judges see what they need to see to judge.
    Thanks for the advice on the commands; I'll take it. And I understand the singlets are a necessary evil. At least deadlifting slippers aren't required; that would be too much.

We host 2-3 unsanctioned powerlifting meets each year. While we send athletes to local USAPL meets, we don't follow those rules in house.
    I am going to try all of your suggestions for our next meet, because it sounds way more straight-forward and fair.
    Thanks Rip

Here in auatralia, we dont really have many issues. The judging here is always to a high standard, especially in the IPF affiliate meets. Of you dont bury it, you wont get a pass.

The huge arching in bench seems to be everywhere now though. And it is frustrating, especially for guys like me with a huge wingspan where regardless of arch proficiency, the ROM is still huge. Ha.

I've seen a few sumo deadlifts where the guy is so short, and the bar bends so much that it can almost be locked out with the plates still touching the floor. Probably less than an inch of air between the platform and the bottom of the last plate.
    I'm just waiting for a "record deadlift" where the bar is still resting on the ground at lockout. I think we're getting close.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, just dreaming here I guess...

Mark, it all sounds like a prime opportunity for a new lifting association

...and yes, full of headaches, costs, and more headaches. But, maybe someone with enough capital and sense will create an organization where logic and fairness are truly enforced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast