starting strength gym

Thread: Stop Worrying About Muscle Protein Synthesis and Train | Robert Santana

Default Stop Worrying About Muscle Protein Synthesis and Train | Robert Santana

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting Strength Coach and Registered Dietitian Robert Santana explains muscle protein synthesis and why consistent training rather than the type of protein you consume is what drives your gains.

24 minutes after it's posted and people are already posting about how Starting Strength shouldn't sell supplements. Probably the same people who didn't watch the video - just saw the headline and first five seconds.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 09-26-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Great video, Robert!

Thanks John!

Nice work Coach! A solid reminder to focus on fundamentals: get under the bar.

If this strength and nutrition gig doesn’t work out, your voice is distinctive -consider broadcasting or voice acting!

Thanks for that informative information.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_tiger View Post
    Nice work Coach! A solid reminder to focus on fundamentals: get under the bar.

If this strength and nutrition gig doesn’t work out, your voice is distinctive -consider broadcasting or voice acting!
    The money sure would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Thanks for that informative information.
    You are welcome.

This feels like a bit of cheeky title. SS has been pretty consistent with the philosophy of train, adapt, recover...one element doesn't work unless you have the other two....and a big part of the adaptation process is eating properly. Robert discusses this in the video. I agree that it's pretty easy to get spooled up over nuances around different proteins, but as Robert notes in the video, you gotta eat enough cals (incl. protein) to feed muscle growth...so the title of this post can quite easily be misinterpreted. I would be interested in whether Robert has a POV on some of the other assertions around MPS that are commonly discussed e.g. consuming your protein then allowing for the 3hr window before dosing again.

starting strength coach development program
    I do and I covered it in my article Protein and Barbell Training. I am an advocate for frequent protein feeding because it serve multiple purposes. First, it maintains satiety so that you aren't in a state of constant hunger. Second, it helps stabilize the glycemic response by reducing the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates. Adding fiber to the meal enhances both of these responses.

Lastly, which is what is discussed here, there is an argument to be made that large boluses of protein are not as effective for building muscle. The theory is that if the amount of protein consumed exceeds the rate of muscle protein synthesis, then the remaining protein gets broken down and used to synthesize other proteins in the human body. The problem, again, is that we don't know how this influences chronic changes in muscle mass. We would expect it would but there may be adaptive responses that occur between day 1 and day 100. We just don't know. What we do know is that if we train in a caloric surplus that is composed of mostly carbohydrates and proteins, we get stronger. If we get stronger, our muscles get larger.

So that leaves us with the most important question pertaining to this topic. Are we writing peer reviewed articles and presenting at academic conferences or are we trying to build muscle and get stronger?