starting strength gym

Thread: Volume vs intensity; presses vs squats/DL for intermediate

Default Volume vs intensity; presses vs squats/DL for intermediate

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have discovered that my presses don't seem to respond to intensity increases with the same low volume training that can be applied to the bigger movements.

I took a couple of weeks holiday and after a further two weeks I'm just about back at my volume numbers for the bigger movements without any loss of weight on the bar by simply adding a couple of reps per week. However, using that same method has seen my pressing numbers (weight on the bar) fall by at least 10%.

This leads me to a conclusion that if one is stuck on pressing movements it might be better to reduce intensity slightly, but increase volume (or simply add reps). Whereas, the opposite is true on the bigger lifts. I'm now considering significantly increasing volume for pressing movements (8 sets of 5). I figure the overall stress dose isn't as affected by pressing volume as less muscle mass is utilised.

Is that workable in the coaches opinion ?

You have to press 4 days a week if you want your presses to go up as a priority. It not so much daily tonnage as it is frequent exposure and practice, since the press is so technique dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You have to press 4 days a week if you want your presses to go up as a priority. It not so much daily tonnage as it is frequent exposure and practice, since the press is so technique dependent.
    Thanks Mark. So, rather closer to playing an instrument than hauling a heavy suitcase. Fascinating. So, essentially I had the approach correct, but my theory was in error. If I press more regularly, does that mean sacrificing progress on other lifts, or just more time training ?