starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Started Gaining Weight or Losing Weight - Nutrition Basics | Robert Santana

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    To piggyback what Will said, what is your height, weight, age, and current 5RMs and Chin Up AMRAP?
    5' 9" tall, 165lbs, 35 years old. Don't have current 5RMs, but I have actual 1RM maxes from last month. I actually talked with you a little bit about beginning a LNP in a previous thread. 1RM are as follows - Press, 130lbs; Bench, 200; Deadlift, 265; Squat, 220. I'm currently able to do a set of 10 chin ups unassisted.

Link to thread?

You probably don't need GOMAD but you do need to gain at least 20 lb in the next 3 months or so and run an honest NLP.

Link to thread?

You probably don't need GOMAD but you do need to gain at least 20 lb in the next 3 months or so and run an honest NLP.
    Original forum name was Brackish. I went ahead and got my account verified so that I could post form check videos once I start the program. I've linked the thread below.

The Skinny Fat Lifter | Robert Santana

I've doubled my protein intake in the last two weeks, or at least tried to double it, by eating double the protein portion sizes for each of my meals. Whereas I used to eat one pork chop for dinner, I've now gone to two. Same goes for chicken, fish, or whatever meat we happen to be eating that night. I always consume the protein first to make sure I'm getting that into my system in case I can't finish the whole meal. I've also added in my homemade protein shakes (30g per shake), but I don't know that I can squeak by with two a day due to digestion issues.

I wrote down everything that I ate yesterday and attempted to calculate total protein intake. I was able to get about 152g of protein yesterday, and that would be a 'normal' day for me. I only counted the protein from 'major' things I ate (i.e. shake, chicken, cheese, greek yogurt, almonds, etc.). Do you think that's going to be enough to get me that extra 20lbs, or am I going to have to up my food intake more somehow?

Ah yes. So is that 152 grams of protein JUST meat products or total grams? I think that your total calories will need to be over 3k, with carbohydrates at a minimum of 300 g, to get some meaningful traction provided you keep getting stronger in the process.

Thanks for posting and glad you took a few nuggets of information away from that. My rule of thumb is that a cooked portion is 75% of the raw portion. That being said, try and stay consistent and the rest will work itself out.
    Hi Robert! This may be a stupid question, but does the protein content stay the same uncooked vs. cooked? Let's say I have uncooked 100 g of chicken breast with 20 g protein, and the cooked weight is 75 g, will there still be 20 g of protein?

Ah yes. So is that 152 grams of protein JUST meat products or total grams? I think that your total calories will need to be over 3k, with carbohydrates at a minimum of 300 g, to get some meaningful traction provided you keep getting stronger in the process.
    The 152g was protein intake from major sources like meat products and peripherals that were easy to measure (e.g. almonds and yogurt). I didn't check/consider protein content from things like vegetables, salad dressing, etc. I figured that it was little to nothing and not really worth trying to figure out. Yesterday was a little bit better for me (161g), but I think it would be tough to do on a daily basis because it included a breakfast, which I never eat. I have never been able to eat before about 9:00am. I've been having my protein shake in the mornings, because I can tolerate it, and I figure it's good to try and keep protein in my system as much as possible.

I haven't attempted to measure my carbohydrate intake on a daily basis, but I'm sure it's way lower than 300g. Our dinners (which then become my lunch) usually consist of a main protein, two types of vegetables, and a salad. Sometimes we include things like rice or quinoa, but that's happening maybe once or twice a week. I don't eat bread or any kind of junk foods, so I'm not getting carbohyrates from those sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyri Kosonen View Post
    Hi Robert! This may be a stupid question, but does the protein content stay the same uncooked vs. cooked? Let's say I have uncooked 100 g of chicken breast with 20 g protein, and the cooked weight is 75 g, will there still be 20 g of protein?
    You don't lose any, it just saves your stomach the work of having to denature it all. The mass of the food decreases because of the water content though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    The 152g was protein intake from major sources like meat products and peripherals that were easy to measure (e.g. almonds and yogurt). I didn't check/consider protein content from things like vegetables, salad dressing, etc. I figured that it was little to nothing and not really worth trying to figure out. Yesterday was a little bit better for me (161g), but I think it would be tough to do on a daily basis because it included a breakfast, which I never eat. I have never been able to eat before about 9:00am. I've been having my protein shake in the mornings, because I can tolerate it, and I figure it's good to try and keep protein in my system as much as possible.

I haven't attempted to measure my carbohydrate intake on a daily basis, but I'm sure it's way lower than 300g. Our dinners (which then become my lunch) usually consist of a main protein, two types of vegetables, and a salad. Sometimes we include things like rice or quinoa, but that's happening maybe once or twice a week. I don't eat bread or any kind of junk foods, so I'm not getting carbohyrates from those sources.
    Eat less in the evening and you'll have no problem eating before 9 am. Bread is not a junk food and eating rice or any major starch source 1-2 times per week will not cut it. Rice, potatoes, pastas, etc are a staple in a lifter's diet so unless you have diagnosed gastrointestinal disease then it's time you step it up.

starting strength coach development program
    You don't lose any, it just saves your stomach the work of having to denature it all. The mass of the food decreases because of the water content though.

Eat less in the evening and you'll have no problem eating before 9 am. Bread is not a junk food and eating rice or any major starch source 1-2 times per week will not cut it. Rice, potatoes, pastas, etc are a staple in a lifter's diet so unless you have diagnosed gastrointestinal disease then it's time you step it up.
    I don't know that it's a timing issue to be completely honest. I eat dinner at the same time every day (5:00pm), and I'm not hungry again until around 10:00am the next morning. If I drink coffee, I can go until 1:00pm before I feel the need to eat again. I don't eat anything after dinner either.

I hear you on the carbs. Going to have to shift up the weekly meal plan when I start my NLP. No diagnosed gastrointestinal issues, but I do have issues with milk. It's been the only thing that has changed in what I'm eating on a daily basis. Unless it's the increased protein consumption that's causing my issues.

Good news! I finally was able to convince my training partner to do SS with me, so we're a go for the week after Christmas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12