starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started Gaining Weight or Losing Weight - Nutrition Basics | Robert Santana

Default Getting Started Gaining Weight or Losing Weight - Nutrition Basics | Robert Santana

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting Strength Coach Robert Santana and Weights and Plates intern April Incolingo discuss how to get started with gaining weight or losing weight along with Starting Strength.

Robert, I’m an overweight guy doing the SS program. In another resource I have, you recommend carbs only pre and post workout, and on mornings of non-training days. Is this still the best way to time carbs? Thanks

That is correct. It matters more when you are cutting but this is generally an effective way to eat.

Robert,

I was at the Nutrition and Rehab camp at Wichita Falls October. I weigh my food occasionally to make sure I am getting enough protein. My estimation skills are improving with the "fist" method for protein. If I am preparing to eat 4 - 6 oz of lean beef, is this a raw weight or cooked weight? I know you mentioned it in the seminar but I cannot remember what you said. I know water cooks out of the meat. I am sure this is not a big deal, and if I eat 4 - 6 oz of cooked meat I likely need the extra protein!

Thank you in advance for the information. I enjoyed your seminar and am glad to know I can eat my red meat and my eggs!

Thanks for posting and glad you took a few nuggets of information away from that. My rule of thumb is that a cooked portion is 75% of the raw portion. That being said, try and stay consistent and the rest will work itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Thanks for posting and glad you took a few nuggets of information away from that. My rule of thumb is that a cooked portion is 75% of the raw portion. That being said, try and stay consistent and the rest will work itself out.
    Thank you, Robert. I took more than a few nuggets. I sat up at the front on your far left. You were very informative.

Ah yes I remember! You were very engaged up there. Thanks again, appreciate the positive feedback. We are hoping to do another one soon.

Is there any viable replacement for the gallon of milk a day suggested in SS? I tried slowly increasing my consumption and found out that 16oz of milk a day (give or take) and a container of Greek yogurt is the maximum amount of dairy that I can ingest without uncomfortable side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    Is there any viable replacement for the gallon of milk a day suggested in SS? I tried slowly increasing my consumption and found out that 16oz of milk a day (give or take) and a container of Greek yogurt is the maximum amount of dairy that I can ingest without uncomfortable side effects.
    Are you in the small demographic of people where a gallon of milk a day is recommended?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    To piggyback what Will said, what is your height, weight, age, and current 5RMs and Chin Up AMRAP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast