starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disaster of a training day, unsure what to do next.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    260 pounds now, started at 214. The raw numbers don't really paint an accurate picture. In the last podcast Rob Santana was talking about a guy with a "runner's body" (small torso, long legs and arms). That's pretty much how I'm put together. Before I started any kind of physical training I was 120, same height. I haven't really been shying away from eating. Santana suggested I shoot for 500g carbs on the nutrition board, so I've been eating even more lately. I considered that I might need even more, but to do that I'm gonna have to start adding in more carb-dense simple sugar stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I've been running the program consistently since June. I've missed one training day since due to illness, another due to a funeral.
    At 35 you aren't old, but depending on your sleep (regularity, length, and quality) and nutrition -- as well as other stressors in life from work, family, etc. -- you are already old enough that you probably aren't recovering as well as you did when you were younger. Given that you haven't really had a break for 4-plus months, my bet is you are indeed suffering from some fatigue. Esp. if you are still deadlifting every workout. 300+ pounds 3 days a week can take a lot out of you, esp. at 35+ years old and after going at it almost non-stop for 4+ months. [I'm heavy deadlifting just once a week now (at 375# currently), and doing chinups and weighted chinups the other days. I'm 46 years old.]

A good test for general fatigue is the strength of your grip. If that has weakened, it probably means you are run down some. I recently went through that myself. My approach was to take my Friday workout off and then to deload my lifts some, taking a few weeks to get back to where I was. You might consider trying the same, taking a couple days off surrounding a long weekend, and resetting your weights on all lifts 5% or so. And if you haven't started alternating your deadlifts, you should probably start doing so with either powercleans or chinups.

I alternate deadlifts with lat pulldowns using a chin up grip. I took the next workout after the one that went real bad down to 80% of normal weight. Then on Saturday, I attempted to repeat the press and deadlift from tuesday. Wasn't a disaster, but reps were missed. The 345 deadlift went for 3 reps instead of 0, the 126 press went almost all the way across, but rep 5 of set 3 just couldn't grind out. I was pushing that sucker for a good 10 seconds trying to get it high enough to get my head under it. I think moving forward I'll try 126 on the press one more time this week, and deload the deadlift to 335 (last completed weight) and start moving up by 5s from there. I have done resets before, they were to address form issues though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    So, in conclusion:
    If you are under eating -which I'm inclined to think is the problem here, taking out the other variables, it's the most likely. As weight on the bar has increased you are probably under eating for the additional work. One day it just caught up with you, possibly with the added stress/calories required for fighting off a cold.
    The OP has gained 45lb and LP'd to a 250lb squat at 260lb BW, and you think the problem is undereating?

To be fair, the 250 squat is held back by form issues. I've had a lot of issues keeping the bar in place at heavy weights, but I recently believe I've gotten it under control, and am working quickly back up to the 250. The upper body lifts are legit coming up against LP limits though, I think. I'm gonna experiment and try Nick Delgadillo's programming plugin for the two presses for two weeks, see if I can advance more than I have just doing straight LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wilson View Post
    The OP has gained 45lb and LP'd to a 250lb squat at 260lb BW, and you think the problem is undereating?
    Yes I do. Short term. Insufficient carbs to do the session and cope with a head cold. I fell into the same trap and Santana had me increase carb intake particularly prior to, during and after the training session. I could of course be entirely wrong, but that's my best guess all things being equal.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I alternate deadlifts with lat pulldowns using a chin up grip. I took the next workout after the one that went real bad down to 80% of normal weight. Then on Saturday, I attempted to repeat the press and deadlift from tuesday. Wasn't a disaster, but reps were missed. The 345 deadlift went for 3 reps instead of 0, the 126 press went almost all the way across, but rep 5 of set 3 just couldn't grind out. I was pushing that sucker for a good 10 seconds trying to get it high enough to get my head under it. I think moving forward I'll try 126 on the press one more time this week, and deload the deadlift to 335 (last completed weight) and start moving up by 5s from there. I have done resets before, they were to address form issues though.
    If you're starting to miss reps then it might be time to move to intermediate. Eventually it happens to all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    If you're starting to miss reps then it might be time to move to intermediate. Eventually it happens to all of us.
    Well, I started doing the intermediate upper body stuff today. We'll see how it plays out in a little over a week.

If form issues are your problem, I’d suggest going to see a coach, even if for just one or two sessions. At 260, you should be able to squat more than you do if you can get your balance right and stay tight. Regardless of your strength levels, I’m glad you don’t weigh 120 anymore - that’s frightening.

Solidarity in having horrible training days - I’ve just had one myself. At the end of the day, you really do just have to keep training.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    Regardless of your strength levels, I’m glad you don’t weigh 120 anymore - that’s frightening.
    High school was a hell of a time. But I also have the build/anthropometry of a basketball player. Terrible at the sport, though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast