starting strength gym

Thread: Weighted Backpack:

Default Weighted Backpack:

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m not yet at the point of adding an endurance element to my training, as I am still doing the novice masters program—(though permanently avoiding power cleans due to old age).

With regard to adding endurance at some point, I have a Concept II rower. However, I have and understand and accept Coach Rip’s opinion (which seems to be agreed upon by a majority of those here) that the rower is significantly less effective than the Prowler.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to any area where I could work the Prowler.

I do, however, have a specialized frame backpack for adding up to (2) 45 pound Olympic plates in a locked position.

I would like your opinions as to how use of this pack—either on level ground OR climbing stairs in the local high school stadium would compare with (1) the rower and more particularly, (2) the Prowler.

Thanks, and best regards.

Russ

Bottom line? Waaay cheaper than one of those trendy tactical looking weighted vests.

I'll have to load up one of my backpacks and try this. Compare it to my unweighted walking and see the difference.

My path back to weight training (and thus, to SS) was actually due to the fact that I have several backpack hunts planned for the Rockies before I drop dead—and I began remembering what 85 pounds was like for 10 miles at high elevations, over a decade ago when I was in my early sixties.

My wife has told me to keep my life insurance premiums paid up—and would prefer not to hear of buzzards chowing down on my elderly ass in Colorado. Ain’t love grand!

Horrible then—impossible today. So I am scaling back to a total load not to exceed 60 pounds. I found a pack frame with a bolt-on 2-inch sleeve (with clamp) that will hold up to (2) 45 pound plates.

I am dedicated to the SSN program (masters variety) but when the first hunt looms on the horizon, I need to do some endurance prep as well. I intend to treat this, not as training, but more as a specific sport. And yes, the frame, though pricey, is way cheaper than a vest. I think the latter may be more efficient—in keeping weight over the center of the feet.

Anyway, I would prefer the Prowler—if I could but...

Best regards,

Russ

The rower is fine. It's the third choice after prowler and sled drags and equal with bikes. Weighted walks, climbs are more likely not to be as safe.

The Barbell Prescription - Jonathon M Sullivan & Andy Baker pg 285 (buy the book especially if you're over 40 - indespensible).

Thanks, Nockian. And oh, yes—I have the Book—along with all the rest—an unbelievable compendium of great information—along with the massive video collection. And I am wwwaaaaayyy over 40!😱

Best regards,

Russ

Just an observation, but oftentimes when I see an individual who carries a heavy backpack on a regular basis, they tend to have an over exaggerated kyphotic curve of the t-spine and protruding forward head posture.

Anyone else know somebody who carries a backpack often and looks like a turtle?

starting strength coach development program
    Arrrrggghhh! I looked up “kyphotic curve“ and will never go back packing again!😀

But seriously, it appears that this condition is the classic case of being hump backed—especially among women with osteoporosis.

I specifically turned to SS (instead of “cardio”) as a method of prepping for mountain hunting. And now I discover that the program not only strengthens the muscles that support the spine—but the skeleton as well—not to mention having a aerobic element as well.

All good!