starting strength gym

Thread: POTS

Default POTS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a junior high student in my PE class that is diagnosed with POTS and was curious if any SSCs have had experience training someone with this condition. This student has a 0% chance of ever visiting our weight room, but I am wondering if strength training would benefit someone with POTS.

How about you explain the disorder for us, instead of just typing the acronym.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How about you explain the disorder for us, instead of just typing the acronym.
    Is the POTS well controlled with Beta Blockers?

POTS stands for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. When standing up blood pools in the lower 1/2 of the body and the heart rate increases rapidly to get blood supply up to the brain. I only have experience of this diagnosis with this one student. Causes of this syndrome have a wide range, in this case we have a 14 year old girl that doesn't eat (seriously...doesn't eat anything at lunch or breakfast) and is anemic. All things that can contribute to the syndrome. In class she will get tired and dizzy, which I attribute more to having ZERO calories consumed by this point (2:15 in the afternoon). Anyways, this is less about the student and more about the syndrome.

Will, I am not sure what medication is being taken and I am unsure if I would have access to that information.

This individual will never step foot in our weight room, but I am curious if this condition ever does come my way if there are any concerns in regards to strength training and if training could benefit someone with this condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Stevens View Post
    POTS stands for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. When standing up blood pools in the lower 1/2 of the body and the heart rate increases rapidly to get blood supply up to the brain. I only have experience of this diagnosis with this one student. Causes of this syndrome have a wide range, in this case we have a 14 year old girl that doesn't eat (seriously...doesn't eat anything at lunch or breakfast) and is anemic. All things that can contribute to the syndrome. In class she will get tired and dizzy, which I attribute more to having ZERO calories consumed by this point (2:15 in the afternoon). Anyways, this is less about the student and more about the syndrome.

Will, I am not sure what medication is being taken and I am unsure if I would have access to that information.

This individual will never step foot in our weight room, but I am curious if this condition ever does come my way if there are any concerns in regards to strength training and if training could benefit someone with this condition.
    I've seen more than a few in the clinic with POTS as a secondary diagnosis to consider when prescribing their rehab plan. As long as they are well controlled on beta blockers, I've never had an issue. This keeps the heart rate from spiking when they stand up.....but, it also limits the heart rate response to exercise which has to be considered with exercise prescription.