starting strength gym

Thread: Common Deadlift Errors and Fixes | Pete Troupos

Default Common Deadlift Errors and Fixes | Pete Troupos

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting Strength Coach Pete Troupos goes through some common deadlift errors and how to fix them. Originally broadcast on FB Live with Q&A.

Really great post Pete, very helpful.
    One question around ‘speed’ of the pull. You have some of the heavy deadlifters on YouTube saying it’s key to be explosive off the floor or ‘rip’ it off the floor. How should we interpret that. My lifts tend to be more ‘peel’ off the floor like you talk about.

At 11:10 the coach states that the setup should be such that the legs lift the bar a few inches off the floor, the knee angle opens and the back angle doesn't change.

Doesn't this contradict the SS instructiob that dead lift is a hip hinge ?
    Side videos of my deadlift show the hip angle opening to break the bar off the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Overtrained View Post
    The deadlift is not a "hip hinge." Leg extension breaks the bar off the floor. If you're leaving your legs out, you're doing a stiff-legged deadlift, not a deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    One question around ‘speed’ of the pull. You have some of the heavy deadlifters on YouTube saying it’s key to be explosive off the floor or ‘rip’ it off the floor. How should we interpret that. My lifts tend to be more ‘peel’ off the floor like you talk about.
    That's how I tend to describe the break off the floor. "Peel it off the floor", "Squeeze it off the floor".
    If you try to gorilla the bar off the ground, something will have to get momentarily loose right before you start. And we just spent all that time getting everything tight.

At 11:10 the coach states that the setup should be such that the legs lift the bar a few inches off the floor, the knee angle opens and the back angle doesn't change.

Side videos of my deadlift show the hip angle opening to break the bar off the floor.
    To stef's point, we haven't described the deadlift as a hip hinge. Hip extension is the predominant joint action, but knee extension has to occur first (14:14 in the vid). We've taken care to set the bar across the midfoot and you won't be able to keep along the midfoot axis if you don't get the knees back first. If you watched past the 11 min mark I get into explaining it.
    If you're looking at a deadlift from the side as the pull starts, and the hips stay put as the shoulders rise, then it's not being done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    It is possible to be explosive off the floor while maintaining form, but not really necessary. When I hear "explosive" I tend to think of power cleans or dynamic effort training. In neither of those cases would I think of "ripping" the bar from the floor. "Ripping" from the floor sounds like I'm slackening my back and arms in order to build momentum to yank the bar up, and that's not great.

Dynamic effort training is discussed in Practical Programming, in the Intermediate chapter. Your deadlift setup should remain the same, however. If you're interested in a colorful bit of history of dynamic effort training, check out Westside vs. the World and hear Louie Simmons describe it and how it is/was used at Westside Barbell.

My foot to hip length is about an inch longer than my hip to scalp length, long arms, my starting back angle close to horizontal.
    I've amended my setup and a side video shows my hip and knee angle begin changing at the same time.
    Is this technically possible for some anthropometries ?

starting strength coach development program
    My foot to hip length is about an inch longer than my hip to scalp length, long arms, my starting back angle close to horizontal.
    I've amended my setup and a side video shows my hip and knee angle begin changing at the same time.
    Is this technically possible for some anthropometries ?
    Head over to the Technique forum, read the sticky for the rules, and post a video so we can see what's going on.