starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift on NLP

Default Deadlift on NLP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    6'1" 320# m 38

Working my way through the NLP for the first time and approaching the end of my third week. The deadlift was 385x5 (beltless/double overhand) on my last training day, tomorrow it will be 395. My question is in refernece to the videos and articles on the site.

Should I continue to work up to and lift the deadlift as prescribed on the NLP using the app or should I start to implement some halting/defecit/rack pulls as well as chins and pull ups now that the weight is heavier?

Your deadlift right now is 65 pounds over your bodyweight. It's not really heavy. Just do the program until it actually stops working. Read this:

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

I agree. Before leg injuries my DL was 585 and I’d like to be at 600 (so I can say I’m average). Thanks for referring me to the article. I have watched all the platform and lecture videos and am about to start reading the archived articles as well. Today was the first day the program introduced power cleans and also prompted me to start doing chins (hard is an understatement for a 320# guy). In the article #1-#3 definitely apply to me. I’ve got the rest timer set to 3 minutes so I will increase that as the weight continues to go up. What I am eating is pretty minimal. I need to loose weight, I know this brings its own challenges. I’d like to be 240-250.

Thanks for the reply Mark and I appreciate all the interaction and support I’ve found on the website and forums. As I told Santana and Stef I’m a convert to the method for sure and can’t wait be even more useful.