starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Should I Weigh? | Carl Raghavan

Default How Much Should I Weigh? | Carl Raghavan

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "How much should I weigh? I know, I know. Touchy subject. It’s a question that weighs heavily on many people’s minds (hilarious pun intended), and because it’s so intimately connected to how they view their self-worth and confidence, I’m going to do my best to be as honest and objective as possible."

Read article

The quote in there was gold.

I'll Kill ya. - Lock Stock and two smoking barrels

Thanks for the clarity, this part in particular:
    "His calculation was this: the strongest people in the world weigh 3.25-4.57 lbs (roughly 1.5-2 kg) for every inch of height."

I started losing weight at about 280, and was pathetically weak. Fall over if I tried to air squat weak.
    I thought I wanted to weigh 225, because when I was doing triathlons, that seemed to be a good weight for me.

Based on the above ratio, 237 is the low end of the "strongest" range. So, 225 is probably too low. I'll know more as I get closer. Of course, the top of the range is 333. So my current 257 might be OK if I was a LOT stronger. But, since my belly measurement is still over 42, heading south, while getting stronger still makes sense.

Is that a typo: 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight?
    Or was it supposed to be per kilo of body weight.
    Seems crazy.

3 barbell sessions per week + 2g of protein per 1 lb of bodyweight per day + 8–9hrs sleep (including naps) = weight stored as lean muscle mass.

If you try to eat 2 grams per pound of bodyweight how are you not going to end up obese?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Is that a typo: 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight?
    Or was it supposed to be per kilo of body weight.
    Seems crazy.
    Nope, not a typo. I have an editor to double check all my articles as well as Rip himself.
    It’s a very normal arbitrary number, let me repeat myself. 2g of protein per 1 “freedom pound” of bodyweight.
    This is a great place to start with a novice lifter to aim for daily.

That is interesting because in Robert Santana’s article it plainly says tha 250 grams of protein is the top target for most males.

What should we do, Eric? Have them fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think we know who would win. #justsayin

Anyways back to this topic.

I can without a doubt say everyone I see needs to eat a lot more protein especially to SSLP as they eat less than they think they do. Especially the important types of calories like good sources of proteins. This figure 2g per lb being an arbitrary figure I use often. If you have been lifting in serious weight rooms you know this is standard practice.
    I recommend shakes for those who struggle with a protein target.
    If you have a big squat and deadlift then you wouldn’t be complaining about eating 2g per pound. The base of my recommendations starts with protein as a eye opener to show people how much they really aren’t eating. This protein target is just that to get people pushing past their comfort zone and thinking more about food as recovery fuel to make them stronger. Not related to making you fat, STRONG.
    I’m surprised this is the biggest take home point for this article and debating semantics of what is optimal protein. I feel like the people complaining about protein are missing the whole crux of this article. I have done my best to compose a mixture of topics and issues related to weight gain or loss and the issues we have around what weight we should be. I write this figure into the article as a simple equation to say that lifting regularly and eating more protein and good sleep will build muscle. Compared to high stress, shit sleep and a sedentary job. The weight gain is not the same type of weight gained eating single ingredient foods and training hard 3 days per week as a person sitting at a pub drinking beer for equivalent time. As gaining weight is a scary thing to the uninitiated to GainZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    If you try to eat 2 grams per pound of body-weight how are you not going to end up obese?
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Even for novice trainees:
    - 150# / 5'10" untrained weakling stickbug? 300 g a day?
    - 200# / 6'0" middle aged fluffy("skinny fat") male? 400 g a day?

Yeah, I guess you could slam a 40g protein shake (made with water) after each of your five daily meals to hit that high of a target.
    (40gP meal + 40gP shake) x 5 meals = 400g P.

That's a lot of food. I mean, with that realistic scenario above you'd be rifling through your tub of Starting Strength Wheytm every 3 to 5 days.

And when you eat your day-to-day meals, you are probably getting more protein from various trace aminos from different food sources that aren't necessarily counted
    as a complete protein on the food label. i.e. if you are "counting" up 200g off of labels, you are likely getting more proteins than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    yes, have Santana, Carl, and pig farmers duke it out.

starting strength coach development program
    A classic old western showdown seems more entertaining.

We can call the Series the last of the SSCs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast