starting strength gym

Thread: Weight training vs running

Default Weight training vs running

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I know for obvious reasons that building strength is much better for general physical health than going for a jog but some people just dont care about being strong and want to lose weight. Can anyone direct me to any sources regarding calorie expenditures during compound movements like full ROM squats and deadlifts. I was reading around for different studies and they seemed low so I assumed they were talking about half squats or machines

I think if you're trying to sell strength training to someone whose main goal is fat loss, you're wasting your time by focusing on the caloric expenditure of squats and deadlifts. The main benefit for fat loss is the additional muscle mass, which increases someone's resting metabolic rate, which means they burn more calories even when they're just sitting around. It's not the so much the calorie expenditure during squat and deadlifts, it's that adding muscle turns you into a more efficient calorie burning machine.

There aren't good numbers for strength training. See Calorie Needs for Barbell Training

Unless someone is training way past usual amounts, calories expended during training are of minimal importance for weight loss no matter what activity is taking place. Losing weight is about controlling calories one way or another. That said, failing to maintain muscle mass while losing weight is a fools game.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    There aren't good numbers for strength training. See Calorie Needs for Barbell Training

Unless someone is training way past usual amounts, calories expended during training are of minimal importance for weight loss no matter what activity is taking place. Losing weight is about controlling calories one way or another. That said, failing to maintain muscle mass while losing weight is a fools game.
    Rip and Santana talked about this extensively in Starting Strength radio #26. Well worth watching for anyone who's interested in losing weight.