starting strength gym

Thread: Protein, Muscle Protein Synthesis, and Strength Training | Robert Santana

Default Protein, Muscle Protein Synthesis, and Strength Training | Robert Santana

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting Strength Coach and Registered Dietitian Robert Santana gives a comprehensive presentation on protein during the Nutrition and Rehab Camp held at WFAC in October 2019.

Great presentation, Robert. Thanks!

I have a question that has been congealing in my little brain for a while. What is the timeline for actual muscle synthesis? What I mean is, the stress/recovery/ adaptation cycle is pretty easy to define for a novice, intermediate, or advanced lifter. Presumably, at least for a novice, the actual process of muscle building is longer than the 48-72 hour adaptation cycle, right? And is dependent on multiple applications of stress/adaptation/recovery?

I guess what I'm getting at is despite the bro-science that insists we must consume (the right kind no less) protein within 60 minutes of training, isn't the actual process of muscle protein synthesis more dependent on consistent, longer term protein consumption? (Not to mention intelligent long term programming).

Of course there's also the fact that improved neuromuscular efficiency plays a big role in novice adaptations.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post

I guess what I'm getting at is despite the bro-science that insists we must consume (the right kind no less) protein within 60 minutes of training, isn't the actual process of muscle protein synthesis more dependent on consistent, longer term protein consumption? (Not to mention intelligent long term programming)
    That was my point exactly. Chronic training and chronic protein consumption are key factors not fractional synthetic rate after a single bout of exercise.

Do we know how long it takes for new muscle fibers to form in general? Just curious.

We don't form new muscle fibers, the muscle fibers we have get bigger. That takes ~2 months or more according to the professional research people.