starting strength gym

Thread: Hospitality at SS Austin:

Default Hospitality at SS Austin:

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I thought about posting this in the SS Austin gym—but didn’t want it to get lost in the weeds.

I happened to find myself briefly back in the People’s Republic of Austin this week (having lived there for over 40 years, before moving 200 miles away.)

Since I have an entire home SS setup arriving this next weekend, I thought it might be nice to see how the pros set it up.

So I called Jarrod at SS Austin and explained that I would not be a client, and that the demographics of my area would ensure that there would never be an SS facility near me, but would like to see the gym.

He welcomed me and told me to drop by. I did, and it was VERY helpful in my coming home setup. My thanks to Jerrod (hope I’m spelling that right) for his hospitality.

I told him that his gym almost made me wish I were back in Austin..........ALMOST!

Best regards,

Russ

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Russ, thanks for the positive feedback. I’ll send Jarrod a message to thank him. It says a lot about a person’s character when they go above and beyond to help someone, even if they have nothing to gain personally. Thanks again for taking the time to let us know!

Ray,

Well I also need to thank you and Jen for all the advice and helpful photos. And I assure you there will be more questions to come. But you have already prevented a couple of bad choices in setup. All the stuff gets here this week.

Russ

Starting Strength Coach

Excellent. Let’s see a photo of the setup when you’re done, preferably with you in frame locked out at the top of a deadlift.

Will do, Ray—with two exceptions—(1) I may hide all the less-than-optimal shit I had before committing to the program—so Rip won’t see it!😀 and (2) nobody wants to see a grown man struggling to stand up at the top of a 75-pound deadlift!

Best regards,

Russ

Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Comancheria View Post
    (2) nobody wants to see a grown man struggling to stand up at the top of a 75-pound deadlift!
    We want to see a 74 year-old deadlift, regardless of the weight on the bar. If it’s 75lbs now, it will be 175lbs in the not too distant future. Either way, what is more badass than an old guy flipping the bird to aging while scoffing at his doctor’s recommended advice for “staying active?”

Well said, Ray—and actually, it’s 160 right now. And with a couple of 25 # bumpers as the initial plates, it LOOKS like a lot more! I figure when I can slip a 45 on each side, it will LOOK like 225–instead of 185. Gotta love those bumpers!😀

I drove by SS Austin this morning. The place looks great. More proper cages than the 100k sq ft gyms down the street. I will definitely set up a consultation in a few weeks.

Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by ATXNate View Post
    I drove by SS Austin this morning. The place looks great. More proper cages than the 100k sq ft gyms down the street. I will definitely set up a consultation in a few weeks.
    Get in touch with the staff down there via the website. They may or may not be having a special guest in town next week and that special guest may or may not have exceptionally hard nipples.

starting strength coach development program
    Aw shit! Now you tell me! I could have changed my trip to Austin accordingly! I got to shake hands with Lyndon Johnson and once came close to being run over by Nixon’s motorcade. Those were my closest approaches to greatness. But Here I could have gotten to meet someone far greater than they—and had him say: “Quit whining and do your squats!”😀

But seriously, Nate, Jerrod and Kyle will treat you right. I wish the gym were within 30 miles of me instead of 200!

Best regards,

Russ