starting strength gym

Thread: Why You Should Do The Olympic Lifts as a Strengthlifter – and Vice Versa | Carl Ragha

Default Why You Should Do The Olympic Lifts as a Strengthlifter – and Vice Versa | Carl Ragha

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "[W]hat really struck a chord with me was the compelling argument Josh put forward about weightlifting. Up late one night in the living room, we were talking shop and Josh mentioned the importance of the power clean. The power clean is a weightlifting variation, and we use it in Starting Strength to train power: the idea is that as you gain in strength and size you should also gain in general athleticism, making the program more complete and well rounded.*"

Read article

Coach Raghavan: Great Article—My thanks.

I believe it is fair to say that your focus is more (or the most part) in how the “power” lifts benefit their Olympic counterparts than vice-versa. However I would like your opinion on the other way around.

I am 74–religiously following the novice program for seniors (though I acknowledge that, for all my reading and watching Rip’s videos over and over, my lack of coaching probably means some bad form problems.). I am beginning to at least think about what will be next for me—as a substitute for the deadlift—when that begins to stall. (Currently at 5 x 165). Possibilities seem to be:

Inverted body weight rows
    Chins
    High Pulls
    Rack Pulls etc

And of course the power clean...

Rip has said—and I completely understand—that (1) for expressing strength as power, there is simply no substitute for the power clean AND (2) someone my age has no business doing power cleans. But here is my question:

For years, I always did “cleans” without a jump—much less a using either a split or a front squat. I would pull off the floor, accelerate, and get under the bar with only a dip of the knees—about as much as you would use for a push press. In my thirties I could horse up 200 pounds using this less than adequate form. Clearly not usable with as much weight as would have been possible with a true power clean.

Would these be an appropriate—for a really old fart—as a support movement for the deadlift?

Sorry for the long post—and thanks.

Russ

I am in no position to answer your question Russ, I'll leave that to Rip and Carl, however I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading your posts. With the amount of thought you have clearly put into each subject matter raised, it is a joy to ponder along with you. I am learning a lot from the questions you put forward, so I sincerely thank you.

Chins and barbell rows are your friend Russ.
    Lat pull downs if you can’t do chins. I would take Rips advice as usual.