The Skinny Fat Lifter | Robert Santana The Skinny Fat Lifter | Robert Santana - Page 4

starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: The Skinny Fat Lifter | Robert Santana

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    141

    Default

    • texas seminar date
    • wichita falls texas march seminar date
    • woodmere new york april seminar date
    Well, the book has a simple procedure. Start with an empty bar. Then in the same session, keep adding weight and doing sets until there is a noticeable slowdown in the lift. Then do two more sets with that weight and you've got your start weight. Gives you something that's a bit of a challenge to your muscles but leaves lots of room for improvement. You might be tempted to try and work with weights you've been doing prior but you run the risk of bumping up into sticky spots a lot earlier. You're not really at a heavy place based on those estimated 1RMs, and even if you start very low, you will probably be able to be doing those weights or greater on your work sets (not 1RM, 3 sets of 5) within a month or two.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Well, the book has a simple procedure. Start with an empty bar. Then in the same session, keep adding weight and doing sets until there is a noticeable slowdown in the lift. Then do two more sets with that weight and you've got your start weight. Gives you something that's a bit of a challenge to your muscles but leaves lots of room for improvement. You might be tempted to try and work with weights you've been doing prior but you run the risk of bumping up into sticky spots a lot earlier. You're not really at a heavy place based on those estimated 1RMs, and even if you start very low, you will probably be able to be doing those weights or greater on your work sets (not 1RM, 3 sets of 5) within a month or two.
    Thanks! I was curious so I worked up to my ‘true’ 1RM yesterday and today to see how close the calculations were. Results were as follows: Press 130, Deadlift 265, Bench 200 (higher than estimate), and Squat 220 (higher than estimate).

    So it sounds like you and Mr. Santana agree. I’ll feel dumb starting with an empty bar, but If that’s the procedure, then I guess I’ll follow it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You start by warming up with the empty barbell and then titrate up until you arrive at a set of 5 th at can be performed correctly while still being fairly difficult. For my online clients I just tell them to select a load they can do for 8 and do it for 5. There are several ways to approach it and none of us coaches can make a judgement call off of a board post. So just be responsible with it and make it hard enough while still correct.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Thanks!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    40,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brackish View Post
    I’ll feel dumb starting with an empty bar, but If that’s the procedure, then I guess I’ll follow it.
    He doesn't understand.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    He doesn't understand.
    I do understand, Rip. I’ve read the book, annotated the book, re-read the book, and I’m currently working my way through the SS Radio episodes. The book allowed me to get to where I am today, specifically my form. There’s no way I’d be lifting what I was today without correcting the numerous errors I was making on a daily basis trying to train with barbells. I have nothing but respect for what you’re trying to accomplish in the world of ‘fitness’. That being said, if my 1RM for deadlift is 265 and I can easily do 225x5x3, does it really make sense for me to start with an empty barbell again?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    40,018

    Default

    You don't start your work sets with an empty barbell. You start your warmups with an empty barbell, then in the same session work up to heavy but absolutely correct for 5s, and then go up from there next workout.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You don't start your work sets with an empty barbell. You start your warmups with an empty barbell, then in the same session work up to heavy but absolutely correct for 5s, and then go up from there next workout.
    Thanks for the clarification!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    40,018

    Default

    How was this not clear? Do I need to rewrite the book? Did anyone else also not understand this? How is this level of misunderstanding possible?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How was this not clear? Do I need to rewrite the book? Did anyone else also not understand this? How is this level of misunderstanding possible?
    It's mean to laugh at another's frustration... but maybe it helps you, Rip, to know that this was the best laugh I had all day. Thank you.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How was this not clear? Do I need to rewrite the book? Did anyone else also not understand this? How is this level of misunderstanding possible?
    From my own experience, I can say that the programming section of the SS book was the most ‘confusing’ for me. It almost seemed like it was written by a different person. The sections for performing each of the lifts and the common problems with those lifts were organized in a very easy to understand way. I had to go back and re-read sections, especially the ones dealing with anatomical explanations, but I ‘got it’ relatively quickly. That just wasn’t the case. If you’re actually interested in my thoughts on that portion of the book, I’d be more than happy to go back and re-read it to see if I can provide you with more constructive feedback regarding how my level of misunderstanding is possible. If it was just a rhetorical question, then that’s fine too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •