starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quit Putting Your Plates on the Bar the Wrong Way | Mark Rippetoe

Default Quit Putting Your Plates on the Bar the Wrong Way | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark Rippetoe explains why the plates face in when loading a barbell and face out when loading a plate tree. Get it right.

What provoked this tutorial? Did a new guy at WFAC hurt himself?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Amen.

I've been doing it wrong for years... yikes!
    A motor moron, without a motor.

I wish this were the worst problem with people being inconsiderate with the equipment at my gym. This problem actually doesn't happen, all the 45s actually are identical on both sides, and have these gaps just inside the edge in a few spots to serve as hand holds. I think there's some fertile ground here, though. Do a whole SS radio episode on "shit people need to stop doing in the gym", or at least a segment. My big one isn't people putting the plates on facing the wrong way, it's people stacking plates on the racks entirely haphazardly and at random, instead of keeping them sorted. Always fun when I have to spend 5 minutes searching for a second 2.5, and is stacked up on a rack behind a bunch of 45s. It's like people do this shit just to be assholes.

Is there a reason why a pair of steel toe lifting shoes don’t exist? Is it the extra weight? The lack of flexibility? I’ve only worn steel toed boots for short periods of time so I’m not a good judge. I’ve seen all of the new composite materials and brags about breathability and flexibility. It just seems like a good idea for someone moving 45 lb plates around all day.

At one of the corporate gyms I went to for a while, we had some stupid weight trees had ~2" hollow pegs, and those pegs were set an angle to boot!

You were definitely better off with the plate facing backwards on the tree, and pulling it with two hands rather than trying try to grab the lip with one hand from the top with the lip facing out. It would bind up and stop.

God, we even had deep dish plates too, so the hub was extra deep like the rim was.

They wouldn't even just slide downhill when you put them away.
    Every once and a while, one would slide down the peg, but in an oscillating fashion, going in and out of its bind.

Whats more annoying is when lazy fucks put the 45s where the 10s go rather than bend over slightly. Or they just lean the fucking things against the weight tree.

Are there any similar bonehead moves one can make on loading / unloading plates from the floor eg on the deadlift?

Default Plates

starting strength coach development program
    Good video. I was not aware of the particulars. I appreciate the lesson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast