starting strength gym

Thread: Mind over matter

Default Mind over matter

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My Coach (who is phenomenal), is trying to get me to bend over more when squatting to achieve a more horizontal back angle and stop my knees from sliding forward. I can do this at lighter weights, but as soon as the weight gets really heavy- the wheels fall the fuck off.

Has anyone else had this same issue (especially any women in particular reading this- because as we know, women are different from men), and if so, what cues or corrections have you used? I have thought of pointing my chest to the floor, doing an exaggerated good morning, looking directly down between my feet...but still seem to want to revert to a more vertical back angle. I tell myself before every single workout that I'm simply just going to bend over more, but am still struggling to make this happen.

Thanks.

Keep the bar over mid foot. Learn to feel the weight moving to toes or heels. Keep the upper back properly tight to prevent the bar rolling forward and rounding. What footwear are you using ? Soft training style shoes contribute to stability problems, if you haven't already, get some squat shoes.

Footwear is appropriate. Good point about keeping the upper back super tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
    Good point about keeping the upper back super tight.
    Sometimes it's easy to forget the cues when all your doing is trying to survive a big heavy weight. Takes a long time for many of us to start getting the technique nailed. Took me around 18 months of consistent squatting before it grooved in.

I've had the same problem. A helpful cue from my coach is to reach back with my butt. Also - as mentioned, super tight back.