Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Simple Guide to Eating for New Trainees | Ray Gillenwater

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jap2 View Post
    Jovanwhat do you expect a 5’9 27yo male to be able to carry bodyweight wise if properly and diligently following the SS program? If I’m currently 150lbs, do not lift and only eat enough calories to survive, is 240-250lbs of bodyweight without being obese an unrealistic goal for a NLP?

Lastly, can I use a whey supplement to hit my target or does it have to be meat or egg protein to count as an animal source?
    240-250lb body weight is too heavy post NLP for your situation. The length of your NLP will vary, but it certainly won't last long enough to get you to that body weight, with a body composition you'd be happy with. You'll want to get to 170lbs as soon as possible and then add 2lbs+ of body weight per week from there. As you advance into the intermediate stage and you become a lifter, you'll decide how much more weight you want to gain. The rate of weight gain will slow down since the rate of your progress slows as you move along in your progression as a lifter. Get through the NLP and make damn sure "inadequate weight gain" isn't the factor that causes your LP to end. It's very unlikely that you'll gain more weight than you want to during this stage, provided your programming is correct - and even then, 100lbs of weight gain is really not possible or desirable in that short of a time period. You may want to be 5'9" and 250lbs body weight, but with a 600lb deadlift instead of a 365lb deadlift.

Goal number one is to hit the protein target. If that requires whey supplementation, fine. Work towards getting all of your protein from whole food, but if that's not possible due to time/money/convenience constraints, whey will suffice. Drink it with whole milk.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Probably a silly question, but do you find a pronounced benefit to having that protein-heavy a breakfast, or is it simply a matter of preference?
    The main benefit of having a protein heavy breakfast is to ensure that you start the day on the right track and are more likely to hit your goal. The reality is, all meals need to be protein heavy to eat enough for this program.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Any recommendations on fiber supplementation?
    I don't have enough practical experience with this sort of stuff and don't want to parrot "common knowledge." I'll ask one of the nutrition coaches from SS Gyms to comment. Santana would have great input here too.
    Last edited by Ray Gillenwater; 11-22-2021 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    The main benefit of having a protein heavy breakfast is to ensure that you start the day on the right track and are more likely to hit your goal. The reality is, all meals need to be protein heavy to eat enough for this program.
    I meant relatively compared to the other meals, not compared to what "normal" people eat. I usually get about ~30g with mine, generally go for more carbs at breakfast though. I have a sizeable protein shake before bed, and my lunch includes an enormous one. I break 200g daily for sure, can't give an exact number since I like to leave dinner flexible instead of eating the same thing all the time. But my rule is every meal has to have a minimum of about 30g protein.

I don't have enough practical experience with this sort of stuff and don't want to parrot "common knowledge." I'll ask one of the nutrition coaches from SS Gyms to comment. Santana would have great input here too.
    Maybe if Santana has time (and if such a thing exists), he could point us to some reasonable nutrition resources? I've actually looked for nutrition courses but they all seemed to be about as useful as CFL1.

Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    But my rule is every meal has to have a minimum of about 30g protein.
    Gotcha. If that works for you, keep going. I typically suggest to clients that they aim for minimum 50g of protein per meal. For women that eat 3x/day, that usually works great. For men that eat 4x/day, it usually works well too, depending on their target bodyweight.

For example: 135lb 5'6" woman may want a target bodyweight of 150lbs (although I might not volunteer that information until she's experienced enough to know why it's desirable). 50g, 3x/day = 150g.

5'9" guy that weighs 165lbs and needs to be 200lbs: 50g, 4x/day = 200g. (Minimum)

Then the anomalies (like me): 6'2" guy at 168lbs that needs to be 240lbs = just eat everything. 50g/meal, 5x/day or 75g per meal 4x/day, it doesn't matter, just grow.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    Maybe if Santana has time (and if such a thing exists), he could point us to some reasonable nutrition resources? I've actually looked for nutrition courses but they all seemed to be about as useful as CFL1.
    I'll send this thread to him.

We have our coaches at the gyms go through the Precision Nutrition certification. We've just soft-launched remote and in-person nutrition coaching if anyone needs help.
    Last edited by Ray Gillenwater; 11-22-2021 at 01:22 PM.

We have our coaches at the gyms go through the Precision Nutrition certification. We've just soft-launched remote and in-person nutrition coaching if anyone needs help.
    Ray, what's the precision cert? Not heard of this before. And the nutrition services is new also?

Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    It exists on occasion. Most nutrition resources are complete bullshit. The RP book is pretty decent and I work with many of their clients. I'm working on my own and at some point it will be released. What are you wanting to learn about?

Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Ray, what's the precision cert? Not heard of this before. And the nutrition services is new also?
    We like these guys because their focus is on behavior change. Here's their site.

Yep, we'll post about our new nutrition offering on the SS Gyms thread as soon as the first gym's website launches.

We like these guys because their focus is on behavior change. Here's their site.

Yep, we'll post about our new nutrition offering on the SS Gyms thread as soon as the first gym's website launches.
    Ray,

I have a diet plan laid out, is there a way I can share it so you guys can see it or should I try to setup a coaching session when I can?

Will be very curious and interested to see how this progresses and enhances the SS brand. Good stuff.

Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jap2 View Post
    Ray,

I have a diet plan laid out, is there a way I can share it so you guys can see it or should I try to setup a coaching session when I can?
    Jap, if you have a simple question or two that is likely to be useful to others, feel free to post it here.

If you're looking for a consultation, I can set you up to beta test our nutrition offering. My email is my first name @startingstrengthgyms.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast