Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Simple Guide to Eating for New Trainees | Ray Gillenwater

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jap2 View Post
    Thank you for responding to my question. I'm trying to get everything written down and setup so I can start the novice program. I am 27, 5"9" and weigh 150lbs... Do you think it would be excessive to eat 6k calories in solid foods and drink the gallon of milk on top of that to start?
    I think 8400 total calories per day (6k + a gallon of milk) is damn near impossible to consume for a 150lbs guy and it's not necessary. Eating to facilitate a successful LP will be more difficult than you imagine it to be, but I'm glad you're thinking about eating too much instead of too little. You'll need to adapt to eating more calories just like you'll need to adapt to more weight on the bar. The best thing you can do is get started, right now, on both - assuming you have read the blue book and have taken thorough notes and/or you've hired a coach.

You'll need to start getting in the habit of eating (or drinking) when you're not hungry and eating past the point of being full, for example.

Write back once you've started and let us know how you're doing. Fill us is on how many calories you're eating per day and how much weight you're gaining per week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jap2 View Post
    "If you have questions about your specific situation, feel free to post them and I'll reply or I'll ask one of the nutrition coaches to if it's outside of my area of understanding. "

Thank you for responding to my question. I'm trying to get everything written down and setup so I can start the novice program. I am 27, 5"9" and weigh 150lbs... Do you think it would be excessive to eat 6k calories in solid foods and drink the gallon of milk on top of that to start?
    I'm also 5'9'', I started training at about 200, I am 235 now. I got there by eating about 5000 calories per day. I thought I was a big eater until I tried gaining weight, but I soon found out that the eating part was much harder than the training part. There is some kind of chance that you will be able to eat 6000 calories of solid food per day without half of that being sugar, but it's not a big chance. If you do it right, you will find yourself at a weird spot where you start hating steaks, which I also thought was impossible until I was four months into training.

" 12oz ribeye steak (the rest of the meal is irrelevant when steak is involved): 91 g protein "

Loved that quote.

This was a well timed article, I'm finally getting the calories I need regularly (and seeing the benefits) but I haven't specifically been tracking protein at the same time.

Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    I'm finally getting the calories I need regularly (and seeing the benefits) but I haven't specifically been tracking protein at the same time.
    Curious to hear about your bodyweight, height, current numbers, and how long you've been training. I may have an idea or two for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    Curious to hear about your bodyweight, height, current numbers, and how long you've been training. I may have an idea or two for you.
    I'm all ears.

84kgs, 178cms

128.5 squat
    165 Dead
    55 Press
    90 Bench
    Power Clean 47.5

I've been faffing about exercising with barbells on and off for about 5 years but finally decided to stop being pig headed and actually do the program properly 6 weeks ago. Eating 4500 calories a day currently.

Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    84kgs, 178cms

128.5 squat
    165 Dead
    55 Press
    90 Bench
    Power Clean 47.5

finally decided to stop being pig headed and actually do the program properly 6 weeks ago. Eating 4500 calories a day currently.
    He's 5'9", weighs 185lbs and is squatting 285, deadlifting 365, pressing 120, and benching 200 pounds.

I'd aim for at least one kg of bodyweight gain per week, ideally from steaks and not from gummy bears.

Your keys to success are consistency, technique, programming, and food.

Don't miss any workouts. Record all of your work sets and review them carefully against the videos on our YouTube channel - get an SSC's help if you can afford it. Study the gray book carefully to know what to do when it's time to switch to the next phase of NLP and then to early intermediate programming - get help here too if you can. Make sure your bodyweight is at least 200lbs by mid-January. You'll enjoy the results, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I'm also 5'9'', I started training at about 200, I am 235 now. I got there by eating about 5000 calories per day. I thought I was a big eater until I tried gaining weight, but I soon found out that the eating part was much harder than the training part. There is some kind of chance that you will be able to eat 6000 calories of solid food per day without half of that being sugar, but it's not a big chance. If you do it right, you will find yourself at a weird spot where you start hating steaks, which I also thought was impossible until I was four months into training.
    Jovan- I don’t know if you’re talking about straight sugar or mean starches too but I don’t consume sugar or any sweeteners. I can do the 6000 with only animal protein, fats and rice, oats, and potatoes for the carbs. I will post my diet plan when I’m finished.

Ray- I hope to start my program next week, I am still finishing taking notes on SS. Not sure if this is too general a question and I don’t want to limit my thinking on what’s possible but in your experience what do you expect a 5’9 27yo male to be able to carry bodyweight wise if properly and diligently following the SS program? If I’m currently 150lbs, do not lift and only eat enough calories to survive, is 240-250lbs of bodyweight without being obese an unrealistic goal for a NLP?

Lastly, can I use a whey supplement to hit my target or does it have to be meat or egg protein to count as an animal source?

Thanks.

Probably a silly question, but do you find a pronounced benefit to having that protein-heavy a breakfast, or is it simply a matter of preference?

starting strength coach development program
    Great article. Any recommendations on fiber supplementation? I'm currently experiencing either an anal fissure or severe prolapsed hemorrhoids (or both - I know I've got hemorrhoids because when I apply Preparation H it's like reading Braille.)

I've started eating more fiber-rich foods and also taking psyllium husk capsules to try and prevent this situation in the future. Just wondering if there are any specific fiber recommendations to go along with the protein guidelines.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast