starting strength gym

Thread: How to Rack Pull | Mark Rippetoe

Default How to Rack Pull | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark Rippetoe and Chase Lindley demonstrate the Rack Pull, a heavy partial pull done in a power rack.

I think this is the first video I ever saw on rack pulls after reading SS:BBT. Great video. Thanks for making it.

I've been using the halting deadlift and rack pull as a "volume day" pull every other week with about a 90% reduction in weight but for sets across.
    For example, I deadlifted 495x2x3 on Thursday, today (Sunday) I rack pulled 460x5x3. Next Thursday, I'll be deadlifting heavy again (but for 455x6x2) and then on Sunday I'll be doing halting deadlifts for 435x8x2.

Have you tried using lighter rack pulls/haltings as a stressor for the intensity day deadlifts, and if so, what has been your experience of its effectiveness?

I've been doing this for about 6 months and it seems to be driving my heavy deadlifts up just fine. I'm sleeping 9hr/day, eating 200g protein per day and about 300g carbs. My weight has not changed appreciably.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

When I was using rack pulls, I was doing one set of 5 in the mid-500s and up. Sets across were not necessary.

Should you get your back more forward than how it would in a normal deadlift as the “starting point” for the rack pull? Or just mimic the deadlift? I have a coach that gets my back more forward.

I think it needs to be more forward than that distance off the floor in a deadlift, to train the lumbar extensors harder.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok. Thanks dude.