starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Skinny Fat Lifter, Part 2 | Robert Santana

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In your 50s, you have no business running your LP in such a way that it makes you too fat.

A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe
    In my case "too fat" would likely be "just fine" for most 50 somethings. We hard-gaining ectomorphs shouldn't play by the same rules, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Nothing stupendous. 195 bench, 127.5 press. Last good deadlift set was 345.
    You have room to improve and you shouldn't need to get too fat to accomplish that. What do you consider "too fat?"

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You have room to improve and you shouldn't need to get too fat to accomplish that. What do you consider "too fat?"
    I dunno, never put much thought into where "too fat" is for me. I guess where I was a year ago around this time was probably that point for me. I was actually around the same weight then as now, but significantly larger. Obviously the composition now is very different. Last check on my calipers recently estimated about 22% bodyfat. The thigh site is a real bitch to get an accurate read on though. It's not my ideal percentage for sure, but I went into this perfectly willing to compromise that for the sake of growth. I don't think I could actually get "too fat" right now unless I stopped training. But I am planning to cut down in January, because I've found it to be an advantageous time to do so due to the dearth of big eating type holidays in the early months of the year. Hopefully cutting a bunch of dead weight will make it easier to grow more of the good kind later.

Until then I am probably going to switch my pressing movements to intermediate programming outlined by Nick Delgadillo. I'd planned to do this earlier, but I managed to get a few more jumps in from taking other measures. After missing one workout for Thanksgiving though I've seen a regression in those lifts that doesn't seem right for one missed workout (while squat just keeps chugging along making improvements). I can't think of many possibilities as to the cause, other than I'm just at the end of 3x5 linear gains on those lifts, or maybe my gym's plates and bars are poorly calibrated. I don't have much option to fix the latter.

The pressing motions detrain fastest and are sensitive to frequency. You can go a week without squatting and stay reasonably close or at where you left off. Miss more than 3 days on a bench press and a reset is required.

3 days in general or 3 workout days? I only missed one workout for Thanksgiving.

It has been my experience, more with bench press and chins, that if you have more than 3 consecutive days off without training those movements, you start to experience detraining effects.

It has been my experience, more with bench press and chins, that if you have more than 3 consecutive days off without training those movements, you start to experience detraining effects.
    Robert, I've encountered something over the past couple weeks that I didn't expect to occur. In the middle of November, I missed a couple presses on both volume and intensity day (4 day split). I was about 6 weeks into a training cycle after a 10 day layoff. Bench was still progressing at 2.5lb weekly for both volume and intensity. Since that time, I've missed quite a few both slots within workouts and entire workouts. I've continued to add weight and PR both bench and deadlift.

Week of 11/17 - Bench intensity 275x5. Bench volume 250x5x4. Did Press intensity, but no press volume.
    Week of 11/24 - Bench intensity 277.5x5. No bench or press volume, or press intensity.
    Week of 12/1 - Bench intensity and a little volume in the same day. 280x5x1, 252.5x5x2. No press volume or intensity.
    Today I hit 282.5x5 easier than the intensity day last week.

Deadlift has gone up 5lb weekly to 375x5 yesterday, with just a handful of squat sessions in that time frame. The weight is heavier, but much less of a grind than when I was around 350.

I think the Deadlift increases are due to less cumulative fatigue from the Squat. I didn't see the bench increases coming and expected to hit a wall after only 6 volume sets in 3 weeks, and almost no press stimulus.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. But I have been unable to get 3 work sets across at a weight heavier than 125 pounds on my press since all the way back in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Johnson View Post
    Robert, I've encountered something over the past couple weeks that I didn't expect to occur. In the middle of November, I missed a couple presses on both volume and intensity day (4 day split). I was about 6 weeks into a training cycle after a 10 day layoff. Bench was still progressing at 2.5lb weekly for both volume and intensity. Since that time, I've missed quite a few both slots within workouts and entire workouts. I've continued to add weight and PR both bench and deadlift.

Week of 11/17 - Bench intensity 275x5. Bench volume 250x5x4. Did Press intensity, but no press volume.
    Week of 11/24 - Bench intensity 277.5x5. No bench or press volume, or press intensity.
    Week of 12/1 - Bench intensity and a little volume in the same day. 280x5x1, 252.5x5x2. No press volume or intensity.
    Today I hit 282.5x5 easier than the intensity day last week.

Deadlift has gone up 5lb weekly to 375x5 yesterday, with just a handful of squat sessions in that time frame. The weight is heavier, but much less of a grind than when I was around 350.

I think the Deadlift increases are due to less cumulative fatigue from the Squat. I didn't see the bench increases coming and expected to hit a wall after only 6 volume sets in 3 weeks, and almost no press stimulus.
    There is variability here of course and the absolute load plays a role in this as well. How much were you pressing?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. But I have been unable to get 3 work sets across at a weight heavier than 125 pounds on my press since all the way back in October.
    Could be a sticking point that needs to be overcome. Beyond the scope of a board post unfortunately.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast