starting strength gym

Thread: Increasingly worse pain in the inside of the right hip/thigh

Default Increasingly worse pain in the inside of the right hip/thigh

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been practicing SS for about 4 months, since the beginning I've had horrible pain in the inside of my right hip/thigh, near the public bone, it's only painful when i move my leg at some positions, It's gotten so bad I'm almost limping, I have trouble moving my right leg back too much when walking, it can be described as strain/pinch. It feel like some sort of tendinitis
    but I can't point out where nor how to treat it, I've tried the ibuprofen protocol and it doesn't help much, in addition I can't afford a sports massage.

the pain is caused by the following movements: lying down and raising my straightened leg up towards to ceiling, especially the very beginning of the movement (getting my leg off the ground); the essential part of the squat that involves keeping my knees out and from caving; finishing out the squat is particularly painful, making for a, sort of, "grinding" finish rather than a smooth lockout; sudden, quick hip flexion movements, like running up stairs. Again, the pain is very localized to just below my (frontal ) hip.

I've suffering for months and had to quit training for weeks to ease the pain multiple times, my squat has a slow and painful progress
    and it seems like I've stalled after a few deloads very early on at around 200lbs.

I'll post form videos in-case this is relevant:

Squat: 235lbs x5 @ 200lbs BW (107.5kg x5 @ 90kg BW) - Before Deload
    Squat: 210lbs x5 @ 200lbs BW (95kg x5 @ 90kg BW) - After Deload

Sounds serious enough that a diagnosis is warranted.

Thank you for the replay, I would get it diagnosed if I knew from whom. I went to a general doctor who told me he doesn't know exactly what it is but I should stop squatting, which is a laughable response.
    should I go to a physiotherapist? should I get an MRI?
    also what do I do with my routine for now? I switched to pin-squats because it seemed like it was helping but now the pain is returning, maybe front squats? high bar? should I stop all-together?

The internet cannot diagnose. It will take a therapist of some kind who is experienced with hip injuries. Until then, you're on your own. Sorry.

Unrelated question, but have you ever hit one of those nubs on the safety bars? I fucking hate these technogym squat racks - they have dip bar attachments on the safety bars (visible in the video) and if you’re an inch off center you will hit it with the plate.

I’ve also seen people knock the pins out trying to rerack and plates fall off the sides of these racks all the time because the plate pins are angled down for some mysterious fucking reason.

Sorry to derail!

I understand, I'll get it diagnosed, meanwhile I'll switch to front squats because it seems to aggregate my hip a lot less,
    appreciate the response.

I experienced a similar, persistent pain on my left side that only went away when I stopped squatting to depth. Outside squatting, the pain was caused by hip flexion. I would especially notice it while walking, and it got pretty bad after a while, would linger longer and longer after training, and seemed like it was just going to keep getting worse. This was right at the beginning of my training, before I started SS. I had been squatting high-bar in what I now know to have been a really wide stance. I started quarter squatting to avoid the pain, and during this time I discovered SS. After the pain was mostly gone I switched to low-bar squatting to full depth and narrowed my stance significantly, and since then the pain is gone. I still feel tight in the same area during my warm up sets, but by the time I hit the first working set it's gone and it doesn't ever linger like before. I'm not a coach and I can't evaluate your form, but for me the key was squatting low bar with the right stance (i.e. shoulder-width between my heels). Anyway, that may not be of much help to you, but I wanted to chime in since I can understand how discouraging and painful this problem can be. A little bit of perseverance will see you through I'm sure. Good luck, hope you figure it out.

starting strength coach development program
    You could post in the "Managing Injuries" forum and see if those guys can take a look. Or a few of the coaches on Starting Strength Online Coaching directory are physical therapists and they might work with you on a one-off if you contact them.