starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Creatine is Good for Masters Lifters | Jonathon Sullivan

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Effects of creatine supplementation on renal function. - PubMed - NCBI
    https://www.jrnjournal.org/article/S...228-6/fulltext
    Does long-term creatine supplementation impair kidney function in resistance-trained individuals consuming a high-protein diet? | Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full Text
    Protein and creatine supplements and misdiagnosis of kidney disease | The BMJ

Remember: don't try this at home. Only a doctor can do a PubMed search.

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    what kind of heart issue might make creatine contra-indicated? In my case I have an artificial aortic valve
    That's a structural lesion, not a metabolic one. If I had good hepatic and renal function and no actual heart failure, I would still load creatine with a prosthetic valve. But I'm not you, and I am most explicitly NOT YOUR DOCTOR.

Ask your doctor, ask him how he knows ("I'm a doctor" is not a suitable rejoinder), and then decide. Your call. Caveat mTOR. Freedum. 'Merica.

I think we will have to do some of these papers for our next Journal Club.

Thanks for the info, as always, doctor.

I wonder if there might be some value in a broader discussion along the lines of "how strength training may affect lab results." Maybe an idea for another video/article/podcast. Not that our doctors would necessarily listen, but it would be nice for our own sanity to be able to say, "yeah, doc, not worried about my slightly elevated creatinine levels, I take creatine, remember?" If I'm not mistaken, things like alkaline phosphatase may be slightly elevated due to muscle gain, too, correct? I'm sure there are other markers in a met panel that might be skewed due to training, but I don't know what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    I’ve always remembered the “maintenance” dose to be 5g per day. I don’t buy into the loading phase. I’m open to changing this if I were to see a good reason to do so.

As for the nootropic benefits, I can’t say that I have experienced anything earth shattering LOL.

BUT...my bloodwork looks really good so I’ll keep taking it at this dose for now.

Hope it helps
    Ok, thanks for the reply

Just remember to stop supplementing ahead of a life insurance physical. I had to get a renal ultrasound to prove that my kidneys were working!

Quote Originally Posted by mbdonner View Post
    Just remember to stop supplementing ahead of a life insurance physical. I had to get a renal ultrasound to prove that my kidneys were working!
    I've been using creatine continuously for a couple of years. I get bloodwork twice a year for the blood pressure and cholesterol meds I take and have yet to get a reading that there was a problem. But maybe that's just me.

Dr. Sullivan thank you for all the things you do for everyone. I’ve been using your book and it’s really nice to have so much detail so I can make good choices.

You’re a good man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I've been using creatine continuously for a couple of years. I get bloodwork twice a year for the blood pressure and cholesterol meds I take and have yet to get a reading that there was a problem. But maybe that's just me.
    Nope. Same here. I get bloodwork done twice a year myself. Same thing so far. Been on creatine for over a year straight. It is a valid point though re life insurance physicals. Had an ole doctor friend who would take a calcium channel blocker before the physical to ensure his blood pressure was good LOL. Of course my “BMI” tells them I’m obese so I get a nice little bump in my premium for it

Of course my “BMI” tells them I’m obese so I get a nice little bump in my premium for it
    Before the Almighty BMI (Peace Be Upon It) became the shit hot ticket for assessing who was overweight, there were the insurance height and weight charts with the light, medium, and heavy bone structure scales in three columns. I guess I've been overweight my whole life, because even in middle school it showed me as too heavy even for the heavy bone structure. I have to believe that they had to have Somalians in mind when they came up with those scales. The only time or so I got into the heavy bone structure scale was when I was 30 and dieted down to 170 and got semi-visible abz at 5'11". I had been running my ass off and was weak into the bargain.

I started lifting again 4 years ago, aged 57. On the advice of another lifter I started on creatine after 2 years and stayed on it for a year. I can't say I noticed any difference. I've been off it for 6 months and I'm still getting stronger. The main problems I have are eating enough and recovery. Currently trying to convince my body to squat heavy every 4 days.

starting strength coach development program
    Nope. Same here. I get bloodwork done twice a year myself. Same thing so far. Been on creatine for over a year straight. It is a valid point though re life insurance physicals. Had an ole doctor friend who would take a calcium channel blocker before the physical to ensure his blood pressure was good LOL. Of course my “BMI” tells them I’m obese so I get a nice little bump in my premium for it
    Creatine saps and impurifies the urine, not the blood.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast