starting strength gym

Thread: First belt choice from Dominion for novice

Default First belt choice from Dominion for novice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I could use some advice please.

I've decided on a 3" belt, and cost is a factor as it will ship to UK for a further $60, but i'm not sure if 10mm is a better bet as a first belt compared to the leather SS 7mm?

I'm 47, 6ft, 200lb, long legs/regular torso/long arms. Current squat 2001b, deadlift 250lb. About to restart LP after a 2 month break so hoping those numbers will go north.

Starting Strength 3in Single Ply Leather Weightlifting Belt | website

3in Leather Weightlifting Belt Single Prong for Men and Women | website

Cheers.

For your first belt, the single ply will work just fine. I still use mine occasionally.

Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

I have the opposite question. Is there any reason (budget aside) not to get the double ply belt? I'm post-novice, only use a belt when I'm at a gym with a 3-inch one lying around, because my hips are too close to my ribs for a 4-inch belt to ride comfortably. So I've gotten used to lifting reasonably heavy without a belt. I'm sure the single-ply would make for an easier transition but I'm not really interested in buying more than one belt. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    I have the opposite question. Is there any reason (budget aside) not to get the double ply belt? I'm post-novice, only use a belt when I'm at a gym with a 3-inch one lying around, because my hips are too close to my ribs for a 4-inch belt to ride comfortably. So I've gotten used to lifting reasonably heavy without a belt. I'm sure the single-ply would make for an easier transition but I'm not really interested in buying more than one belt. Thanks.
    I'd like to hear answers to this question as well. Pros and cons of the more expensive, thicker, more labor-intensive to produce belt. Is it worth it to shell out the extra cash for someone willing to spend more that only wants to own one belt?

starting strength coach development program
    I have both single and double ply. I usually end up using the double ply, but the single would work just fine.