starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deadlifts are amazing for snow skiing

Default deadlifts are amazing for snow skiing

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’ve been doing heavy deadlift 3x5 twice per week for several months. I’m on a ski trip out west with my family and I can’t believe how much better I am skiing. My legs simply do not get tired and I can make it top to bottom without major burn. So glad I found this website!!!

Our of curiosity are you doing an LP with the four basic lifts or just deads?

I've been doing SS for 2 ski seasons now and it does indeed make a huge difference.

Man, deadlifts are just amazing, period. Even for the simple benefit of improving your regular posture I think they're more than worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveARodgers View Post
    Our of curiosity are you doing an LP with the four basic lifts or just deads?

I've been doing SS for 2 ski seasons now and it does indeed make a huge difference.
    I do LP but sparingly bench press.

I saw a video where a hairy strongman said you should not deadlift. At all. Never. He is bigger and stronger then any of you so he must know his shit better than you.

I saw that same video. As a result, we no longer advocate the deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by RATSKRAD View Post
    I’ve been doing heavy deadlift 3x5 twice per week for several months. I’m on a ski trip out west with my family and I can’t believe how much better I am skiing. My legs simply do not get tired and I can make it top to bottom without major burn. So glad I found this website!!!
    Not just the DL, but all of the lifts. Snow season is the season I live for, with inbounds and backcountry snowboarding taking up most of my weeks, which means that in the winter [cover your ears Mark] I go into maintenance mode, striving to get under the bar for each of the lifts once a week.

But a couple of years ago, after spending the entirety of my warm months working an LP, that boarding season was incredible. Back to back days, top to bottom, without the mid-mountain breaks just to get the burn out of my legs. A couple of snow seasons like this now and I my days on the snow are significantly better than they were in my 20's (some three decades ago).

Now we just need more snow, not these spring conditions that the PACNW had been dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I saw that same video. As a result, we no longer advocate the deadlift.
    replaced it with burpees?

Anything but deadlifts. They are just too dangerous.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BillA View Post
    Not just the DL, but all of the lifts. Snow season is the season I live for, with inbounds and backcountry snowboarding taking up most of my weeks, which means that in the winter [cover your ears Mark] I go into maintenance mode, striving to get under the bar for each of the lifts once a week.

But a couple of years ago, after spending the entirety of my warm months working an LP, that boarding season was incredible. Back to back days, top to bottom, without the mid-mountain breaks just to get the burn out of my legs. A couple of snow seasons like this now and I my days on the snow are significantly better than they were in my 20's (some three decades ago).

Now we just need more snow, not these spring conditions that the PACNW had been dealing with.
    I’m right there with you and snowboard 60+ days a season inbounds and backcountry, however, my approach to “maintenance” is to continue to lift (and squat) 3x a week the vast majority of the season. I’ll drop to twice a week if we’re in a good storm cycle. Occasionally I’ll hit the gym following an Unplanned powder day, but I am not opposed to a quick backcountry out and back after being the in the gym so long as it’s not a “heavy” deadlift day. Did one this evening, in fact: an hour skinning up and a 10 minute descent right at dusk after Deload squats, medium bench press and power cleans.

General strategy is to use the HLM template but squats look more like Heavy, Light, Deload. “Heavy” squats are usually intensity focused in a 3x3 Rep scheme. Everything else is fives.

If we get a high pressure system sitting over us for more than 8-10 days and I’m bored with compacted snow, moguls etc, I’ll run a 1 week “burst” of LP to get my strength back up a tiny bit, though it’s not uncommon for my squat to drop 50# over the course of a 5 month season regardless. Still, if I go in with a squat in the mid 300s and come out with a squat around 275#, I’m considerably stronger than any of my peers who Pursue a similar lifestyle and that’s even with the consideration of the fact that I regularly go 7-8 consecutive days+ (sometimes 10 days) without a “rest” day between training and snowboarding. With a handful of exceptions, I find it better to just keep training because chasing conditions makes for too unpredictable a schedule. If you want to pursue skiing/snowboarding as a lifestyle, much like surfing, you are subject to conditions which you cannot control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast