starting strength gym

Thread: Hamstring DOMS

Default Hamstring DOMS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been having trouble with hamstring recovery, severe DOMS 48 hours after a workout lasting up to 7 days. The pain is very severe. I had to reduce squatting down to once every 5 days to heal. Often during this recovery phase something such as stepping out of the shower or the car can cause a severe pain and strain in my hamstring making it difficult to walk for hours after. I reduced squats down to 1x5 for months and this really slowed my progression but eliminated the DOMS. I recently went back to 3x5 and had severe pain and then pulled it stepping out of the car while having DOMS and now can’t walk hardly. Any idea why this happens and how to reduce it? I’m 43 deadlift 380x5 and squat 280x5 and 250 3x5. Thanks

Absolutely nothing in this program produces debilitating hamstring DOMS, if it's being done correctly. Therefore...

What I’m wondering is if deadlifting and squatting multiple times in the same week may be causing “accumulated lack of recovery” as stated in your book and if so how I can improve recovery

DOMS is caused by eccentric loading to which you are not adapted. Look up "sarcomere" on Wikipedia and learn about this mechanism. Then examine your training. If you are performing the exercises correctly, you will never be excessively sore after the first week of training.

The one thing I know I do is slow eccentric movements. I descend in the squat slowly because I am afraid to move more quickly and get hurt. I also lower the deadlift slowly and controlled. Squats I tend to descend as far as my body will allow which tends to be below parallel and gives a big hamstring stretch and I am working on improving the bounce out of the bottom.

starting strength coach development program
    Master your fear and become a more efficient lifter.