starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Minimum Effective Dose of Training | Mark Rippetoe

Default The Minimum Effective Dose of Training | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "Like any medication that has the power to alter physiology, barbell training must be administered with attention paid to dosing – the amount and the schedule. It's damned hard to kill yourself with barbell training, and you'd have to be ignoring a lot of things if you ever even got close, but it's easy to get carried away and do too much, too often, with too much weight. The price paid is not death, but wasted time and potential."

Read article

As a bit of extra learning, I'd encourage anyone who just read this article to go take a peek at the programming for Stronglifts and Super Squats. Think about MED/MTD while analyzing them and find where the problems might lie.

That quote at the beginning is now one of my new favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    That quote at the beginning is now one of my new favorites.
    Taleb is great. If you haven’t read his books go get them. Rip turned me onto Taleb. He’s a friend of the program. Likes to deadlift and wrote the forward to the The Barbell Prescription

Hi Rip
    I'm a bit older than you and while being active my whole life I've come to the organized fitness party at a late stage in life. I've done the Crossfit/LP/Starting Strength spectrum and from my experience as an older athlete I've realized that my truth lies somewhere inbetween. The commonality that both Crossfit and Starting Strength have for me is they are in their separate ways unsustainable. Crossfit for its endless amounts of volume and variability and SS for its endlessly getting stronger albeit at a diminishing rate characterized as Beginner, intermediate and advanced.My experience has taught me that at this later stage of life its a game of grudgingly giving up strength as slowly as possible. To attempt to add weight to the bar is a recipe for injury and burnout. Endurance and strength diminish as we age, that's why a 70-80 year old looks the way they do, regardless if they do SS or not. Maybe a hell of alot better that most decrepit 70+ Americans but still diminished. MED is a moving target heading downards as we age. I've come to enjoy getting under the bar just for fact that I still can, regardless of how much weight is on it. While I may not be SS training ,I'm enjoying it more because I'm judging myself less and comfortable with the idea that I can just enjoy the fact that I can participate at some level.

Quote Originally Posted by southbaysumo View Post
    Hi Rip
    SS for its endlessly getting stronger albeit at a diminishing rate characterized as Beginner, intermediate and advanced.
    Interesting how people reading the same book, take away different ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Taleb is great. If you haven’t read his books go get them. Rip turned me onto Taleb. He’s a friend of the program. Likes to deadlift and wrote the forward to the The Barbell Prescription
    I looked him up after seeing the quote. I worry his stuff is way over my head. I am not that smart a person.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I looked him up after seeing the quote. I worry his stuff is way over my head. I am not that smart a person.
    Neither am I. Get Skin in the Game. Read 3 paragraphs at a time. Put it down, think about it, and read 3 more, etc.

starting strength coach development program
    Skin in the Game is interesting, but Black Swan and Antifragile, in that order, are my favourites.

Starting Strength makes us Antifragile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast