starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using gymnastic ring straps for weighted push ups?

Default Using gymnastic ring straps for weighted push ups?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What do you think of this?

I have a gymnastic strap that says "3,500# webbing break strength, 1,600# assembly break strength, and 533# working load limit. So, I hung it over the back bar of my power rack. That bar is square, but the edges are not sharp. They're a bit rounded. Then I have a loading pin from Iron Mind. So, I load the Oly. plates on the loading pin, hang the loading pin from the strap, crawl under the weight, and start the push ups from the bottom position. So, the weight is on your pretty quick, but not when your chest is on the floor. I'm not working with very heavy weights yet, but I'm making progress pretty quickly.

Video?

Quote Originally Posted by Toomuch4u View Post

I have a gymnastic strap that says "3,500# webbing break strength, 1,600# assembly break strength, and 533# working load limit. So, I hung it over the back bar of my power rack. That bar is square, but the edges are not sharp. They're a bit rounded. Then I have a loading pin from Iron Mind. So, I load the Oly. plates on the loading pin, hang the loading pin from the strap, crawl under the weight, and start the push ups from the bottom position. So, the weight is on your pretty quick, but not when your chest is on the floor. I'm not working with very heavy weights yet, but I'm making progress pretty quickly.

Why, why, why, why, WHY would you do that? WHY???????

Quote Originally Posted by Toomuch4u View Post

Sounds like a bad Idea.... but yeah, be sure to get it on video.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Video?

Do you expect to get this up to 225? Why are you breathing like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do you expect to get this up to 225? Why are you breathing like that?
    Yes, with good nutrition, a caloric surplus, and proper progressive overload. I could see getting to 225#. However, in sets of 5. I would probably add a second strap as I went into the 100's.

I believe the most that I did in the past was around 100# for sets of 5. It use to give me anxiety to watch the weight hanging between sets, but nothing bad ever happened. I'm using higher rep sets here because I do lower rep push ups on a different day, and completed heavy standing barbell presses for 5's earlier in the workout shown in that video. I'm doing a super set with weighted push ups and dumbbell rows in the video above.

Also, I'm breathing like that because it helps me to tighten up my stomach. I wouldn't do that with a barbell as you need the air more for stability. I really do it during push ups and pull ups, and on the later reps of ab exercises. It just seems to work for me during those exercises. Maybe I should try to breath more like I'm doing a bench-press?

lastly, the weight that I'm using in that video doesn't even justify the use of the strap. It actually makes it harder to balance 25# on your back with that loading pin sticking up like that. It starts to help a lot more with heavier weights though.

This is an awful idea for strength training, but I love this as a design problem.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I want to know why he's using the water lines for a tool rest.

starting strength coach development program
    I used to advocate the weighted pushups idea myself, until I realized an important thing, which I'll ask you: what is the limiting factor in the continued increase in the weight, and does the bench press suffer from this limitation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast