starting strength gym

Thread: Carbohydrates and Barbell Training | Robert Santana

Default Carbohydrates and Barbell Training | Robert Santana

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "Carbohydrates are perhaps the most misunderstood macronutrient. If I had to be a macronutrient, I’d probably be a carbohydrate. Since I am not, I’ll settle for being an author who defends their honor, palatability, and function in human physiology."

Read article

Nice work Coach. Looking forward to book.

Thank you

Hello Coach Robert,

Thanks for another excellent article. I've read you say this before "...better recovery" associated w/ carbs. I've looked everywhere here, but can't find any more than that. Can you tell us why carbs aid in recovery?

Thank you very much!

John

Did you read the entire article?

Good article Robert. You gave me some insight I needed. I have been really paying attention to my lean protein intake and adding carbohydrates over the weeks since your seminar at WFAC. Carbohydrates were kind of taboo to me. It has made a difference for me - a very positive difference.
    Thank you!
    -Delise

Happy to hear it. Keep us posted on how your training responds in the long-term.

From the article:

Thanks Robert, good article.

fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains, with simple carbohydrates reserved to peri-workout meals. Additionally, ~40 g/day and ~30 g/day of these carbohydrates should be in the form of fiber for males and females, respectively.
    Any opinion on the glycemic index?

I notice I am mentally "sharper" in the morning if I hold off a little for breakfast or I skip it entirely. I attribute this to some kind of hormonal compensation relating to lowered blood sugar levels. Any side thoughts on that process?

How much are you eating in the evening?

starting strength coach development program
    There are a few flawed assumptions and a vast oversimplification from what I have seen in this article. 1) carbohydrates are prefered because of insulin driving them into cells in order to reduce blood sugar. The body can not store excess glucose (outside a small amount of glycogen) so it must clear it from the bloodstream this is one of the insulins primary jobs. This is far different than "the body preferring carbohydrates", when you look at the blood-brain barrier there are MORE pathways for ketones to cross it than for glucose, this directly contradicts your conclusion. 2) There is an adaptation phase that takes place when you remove carbs and gluconeogenesis pretty much only happens when you have excess protein because that is the only mechanism for the body to remove it as it can not store excess protein after you have adapted to not having constant carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates have very little nutritional value in them, they have to be cleared from the body like a toxin when you eat too many of them, the insulin prevents the body from using fat as energy.... etc etc etc... I could go on, but overall this article is junk imo.