starting strength gym

Thread: Had knee replacement

Default Had knee replacement

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Rip,
    I had both knees replaced about 18 months ago. I started training six months after the operation. I am 56 years old and overweight at 295 & 6’2”. I am able to squat reps with 315 ( no need to go higher) and deadlift 285. Pressing has completely eliminated a pain from torn rotator cuff injury In my right shoulder. All is well if I could wire my jaws shut and lose weight.

Anyway, my question : with two artificial knees, am I pushing my luck with that much weight ? My wife & friends say I’m crazy. My surgeon, who is a slim runner/ biker/ skier, seemed unfamiliar with weight training and said “that weight seems a bit excessive” and nothing more.

Does anyone has experience or know of folks trying to train after knee replacement.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pcairney View Post
    Hello Rip,
    I had both knees replaced about 18 months ago. I started training six months after the operation. I am 56 years old and overweight at 295 & 6’2”. I am able to squat reps with 315 ( no need to go higher) and deadlift 285. Pressing has completely eliminated a pain from torn rotator cuff injury In my right shoulder. All is well if I could wire my jaws shut and lose weight.

Anyway, my question : with two artificial knees, am I pushing my luck with that much weight ? My wife & friends say I’m crazy. My surgeon, who is a slim runner/ biker/ skier, seemed unfamiliar with weight training and said “that weight seems a bit excessive” and nothing more.

Does anyone has experience or know of folks trying to train after knee replacement.

Thank you
    Just bumping this as I'm very interested as well. A friend of mine just went through a prolonged ordeal with chemo, radiation, and multiple surgeries because of prostate cancer, and now he really needs to start lifting to get his muscle mass back, which I'm hoping I can help him with. But the problem is, he needs to have both knees replaced first. Any special considerations? Or just just run the novice program like anyone else?

Thanks!

We have a piece in preparation right now. Short version: do the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We have a piece in preparation right now. Short version: do the program.
    Ok, thanks!